Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 16-08-2005 , 09:45 PM
original

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 16-08-2005 , 09:51 PM
fixed

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 16-08-2005 , 10:47 PM
I must say, that this is an excellent head for a first try. user added image
His face is a bit flat though, but this is awesome. user added image

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 19 17-08-2005 , 04:35 PM
Subscriber
lookin lots better user added image, here are some things i think might make it look nicer, the forehead needs to be smoothed out a little, i think that area is too sharp. also his chin looks a little odd, looks like people do when they align their top and bottom front teeth up by bringing their bottom jaw forward, heres a pic of the last model head i made, it might make it easier for you so see what i mean (mine isnt perfect but its my best try so far user added image i think my forehead is a little too rounded tho user added image) end excuse the messy bit round the ear user added image

https://uk.geocities.com/cook_the_kids/head.jpg

hope this helps

# 20 28-08-2005 , 10:41 PM
Ok,
So Im fianally back with an update. First off, I fixed up the chin area a bit. I think it looks better now. Doesn't have the overbite look that it had.
But alas I have come to the texturing. I spent most of my weekend fooling around with UV's. I am fairly happy with the results of the cylindrical mapping tool, except for the pole it creates at the top of the head. Anyone have a good method for fixing that?
Anyhow I'm burnt so I'm just gonna post the pics. The texture still needs a lot of work, but you can at least see the basic skin color for now.

Cheers,
Penguin

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 29-08-2005 , 02:06 AM
Using cylindrical mapping in concert with some strategic planar mapping you can virtually eliminate any major distortion. You can map the head using cylindrical map and then select the polys on top of the head again and planar map them. UVs just take a lot of time to tweak and move and sew.

Dave

# 22 29-08-2005 , 10:46 AM
Subscriber
try makeing a shader for the skin texture, in hypershade

# 23 01-09-2005 , 04:58 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I would do the uvs EXACTLY as swankymonkey has said, that will help you alot for your texturing. (EH DAVE:bandit: )
Also try rounding the face off a little at the front as it still look a little flat

Good going though for your first head.

Cheers

Jay

# 24 03-09-2005 , 04:17 PM
Well, I know this project still need work but I have decided to put it on ice for a while. I have already accomplished more than I set out to with this and am really itching to work on something else. I have started a thread for the new project here: https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=18122
One more thing though. Matt4068, you suggested that I turn my texture into a shader, using hypershade. I'm not sure what you mean. Could you please elaborate? And maybe share tips if you have any? Thanks again.

Cheers,
Penguin

# 25 03-09-2005 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
i once tried to texture human skin, its realy hard to make it look perfect,

some skin shader

or try making your own, take a look at the above on or others like it (type 'mays skin shader' in google) theres a tutorial i once found aswell for uv mapping a face erm one mo illtry find it..

heres one,

https://www.web3dservice.com/tutorial...textshad_1.htm

ill try find the one i was thinking of tho...

# 27 03-09-2005 , 04:43 PM
It's kind of ironic you posted that skin shader. I found that when I first searched for a texture for him but unfortunately couldn't use cause I'm on a mac. Bummer.
Thanks for searching thoughuser added image
Cheers,
Penguin

# 28 03-09-2005 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by matt4068
i once tried to texture human skin, its realy hard to make it look perfect,

some skin shader

or try making your own, take a look at the above on or others like it (type 'mays skin shader' in google) theres a tutorial i once found aswell for uv mapping a face erm one mo illtry find it..

heres one,

https://www.web3dservice.com/tutorial...textshad_1.htm

ill try find the one i was thinking of tho...

Hey matt, for that skin texture download/plugin from highend3d, how do I actually install it in my Maya 6.5 Unlimited program once it's downloaded and unzipped?

Thanks!

# 29 03-09-2005 , 05:03 PM
Nice head! Compared to the first one, your last update came down to earth. It looks really nice. My only criticizm that I can find would be that the edge loops on the eye are not large enough. If youlook at yourself in the mirror, you will find that your eyelids are actually quite large. Also, the lips would need more definition. They seem almost flat. The guy is cool, I will say again. He looks bored out of his mind, though user added image

Cheers, user added image
,Matt user added image

# 30 03-09-2005 , 05:06 PM
Subscriber
hi, that particular one is made for maya 7.0 but there are others on the net for 6.0 and 6.5 youll have to do a search in google for a maya human skin shader or something, youll be looking for a *.mb or a tutorial