Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-03-2006 , 05:04 PM

Some digital paintings I made

Hey, fellows. As it seems, we won't have an 2d gallery to post our works on Simply Maya, I'm going to post some here.
These are some digital paintings I did. I like mangas, animes and old games (2D) very much. So I try to draw my favorite characters from those media in my own way. I like the way Alex Ross depict super heroes - as if they really exists. This is my goal with my paintings, although I know I have a long path to follow yet... I hope you like them. OBS.: There's some incomplete things on paintings, I'm correcting them when I can.

Minako Aino (Sailor Venus), from Sailor Moon series

user added image

Mai Shiranui, from the King of Fighters series

user added image

Chibimoon and Sailor Saturn, from Sailor Moon series.

user added image

# 2 05-03-2006 , 05:29 PM
Great work!!!

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 05-03-2006 , 06:25 PM
thats pretty frickin amazing

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 05-03-2006 , 09:51 PM
As always jramauri, bloody good work.

What did you do them in and what did you use, pad or mouse?

# 5 05-03-2006 , 11:14 PM
Thank you very much, dudes. I made them just because I wanted to! :p I forgot to mention, I use Photoshop CS and my Wacom tablet to do them. I usually make my sketches on a A4 ordinary paper, with coloured pencils, and when I'm satisfied with proportions and overall shapes I scan my drawings, and start painting. The Mai Shiranui one was made entirely on computer. I'm trying to habituate drawing directly on computer, but it looks a bit hard to me. I prefer real paper!

Last edited by jramauri; 05-03-2006 at 11:18 PM.
# 6 07-03-2006 , 08:46 PM
Those are awesome jramauri! I'm feeling really inspired now to do some digital painting myself user added image

# 7 08-03-2006 , 09:29 AM
Subscriber
They don't look digital to me... Which is a good thing! user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 8 08-03-2006 , 12:04 PM
great stuff jramauri!

I really like the lighting on the second one user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 9 08-03-2006 , 01:55 PM

Originally posted by blomkaal
They don't look digital to me... Which is a good thing! user added image

Yeah. They don't ... looks like they're painted with acrylic or gouache. Very nice, Jramauri! How much of the first and third one are the original scanned sketches?

I agree with your comment about using actual pencil and paper. Sometimes sketching with a tablet feels OK and other times it feels like trying to draw with a shoe. For me its those initial concept stages that can be difficult. Practice I guess.

Dave

# 10 08-03-2006 , 04:44 PM
littlelostalien, blomkaal and t1ck135: Thanks for you comments.

Dave: Thanks. Almost nothing remains from original scans. They serve just as a reference in an initial stage of painting. When the images are blocked with initial colors, sketches are no longer important. I'm doing some efforts to sketch directly on tablet, and I think they are being promissors. It's really a matter of practice.
I'm posting here my sketches. I'm developing my website, and I problably will put some sort of "making of" for some paintings, to share with people my way of painting.

Minako

user added image

Mai

user added image

Chibiusa and Hotaru

user added image

# 11 08-03-2006 , 05:25 PM
Hey jramauri - it's good to see your paintings and concept sketches. The paintings remind me of a little bit of the work of John Currin and also Lisa Yuskavage.

Any plans to turn these into maya models?

# 12 09-03-2006 , 11:29 AM
19 year Veteran
Awsome paintings dude!! The atmosphere in them reminds me of the many paintings I have seen from the 60's and 70's.

I personally haven't really dabbled in 2d paintings much, except for a couple that I have copied just to get use to using photoshop.

# 13 09-03-2006 , 12:38 PM
arran: I didn't know these artists you mentioned. I watched their works on Google, and they really remind my way of painting! Very interesting. I'll found out more about them later.
Turn them into Maya models... I wasn't thinking about... Hum, why not?

THX1138: Thanks dude. I worked with tradicional painting during many years. Maybe because this my digital paintings look more tradicional than digital. You should try it too. It's pretty fun!

# 14 15-03-2006 , 12:53 AM
For those who liked my 2D works, i'd like to say that my website is online now, not finished yet, but has a lot of 2d works I made. If you wanna to take a look, the adress is on my signature.
Thanks!

Amauri

# 15 15-03-2006 , 04:24 AM
The site looks great, Amauri!

Very clean and well laid out. Some of the links didn't work for me but I'll just keep coming back until they do!

Nice job!

Dave