Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-10-2007 , 05:44 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Character_ReVisited

hey All

well seeing as though heads are appearing here left right and centre, I thought I post this guy up.

I did the original model a while back, but the week before last my system went a bit weird and I had to reinstall Zbrush, and basically I erased the original head in the process as it was in a sub folder inside the ZB directory.

Anyways, Im glad I keep my lo res meshes elsewhere and was able to resculpt this guy again. But still have a few bits to do on him but mostly its back to where it should be, So have it.....an upcoming character for my Outlaws stuff

Cheers
Jay

user added image

# 2 04-10-2007 , 11:12 AM
Looking sweet, Jay! What's his role going to be? What type of character?

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 3 04-10-2007 , 05:54 PM
Cheers Sparticus

He's an old General from a bygone war that went on for a long time. He is now a 'Sheriff' in a run down town, basically retired, that sort of character. I figured I would have him around 127 years old, though he doesnt look it.

I dont know how much you know about the character of Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) from Lord of the Rings but he's actually from a race called the Dunedine Rangers who live until they are about 5000years old. The character Aragorn is about 80 something in The Two Towers, it gets mention in th extended version. And is in the glossary of the books too.

I loved the idea of this warrior thats been around for bloody ages, outlived people and has seen and experienced more shit than you or I put together. So...this character is something similar.

hope this makes sense

Jay

# 4 04-10-2007 , 06:49 PM
Looking nice Jay!

Waiting for some updates on Outlaws!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 04-10-2007 , 08:12 PM
Subscriber
oh sure post your nicely modeled head to make mine look like crap, just kidding... it's looking really good, keep it up.

# 6 04-10-2007 , 08:19 PM
Hey Guys

Thanks.

Steve: Yup absolutely, I'll be getting back to it this week, just something atm (you already know about it)

Mike: LOL, thanks, its just practice practice practice....and lots of observation

Cheers
Jay

# 7 04-10-2007 , 08:24 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay

Mike: LOL, thanks, its just practice practice practice....and lots of observation

Cheers
Jay

I've got the observation down, haven't had the practice yet, lol.

# 8 04-10-2007 , 10:27 PM
It's a bugger when you lose work, I had to redo my last character sculpt because of a technical prob like that, which reminds me, must back up again.

Looking cool so far, at least you can make him better now you had a practise run, that's the best way of looking at it.

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 9 04-10-2007 , 10:32 PM
Hey G

yeah true, but I also lost the villain dude too so I was real pissed, Also the final Joker model I was about to texture was a victim too. But I have a back of it at least, but its from Z2 and will need some serious work on it again.

back to it...

Cheers
Jay

# 10 04-10-2007 , 11:54 PM
Oh, that is crap.

That's why I keep all my work on a second drive, you never know when something bad will happen. It usually happens just after you say "I'll back up tomorrow" followed by "Doh" or something harsher

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 11 05-10-2007 , 02:05 AM
As it happens all my stuff is backed up on the external drive, but as you say ' I'll back up tomorrow' is pretty much spot on - as ever!

Never say Doh

Cheers
Jay

# 12 05-10-2007 , 03:18 AM
I have my backup on an external drive that I store in another part of town.... in case of a fire or burglury for example.

# 13 05-10-2007 , 04:20 AM
Subscriber
Real nice jay. I need to practice characters more. I can model the bodey great but I am still having trouble getting the head down like I want. What is your secret Jay.

# 14 05-10-2007 , 11:11 AM
DJ: Cool idea, I dunno where Id put mine in town, somebody would damage it or take it LOL

Banksta: Many thanks, there is no secret, its down to persistence and taking crit and advice. Lots of observation too, this includes just looking at real people and also looking at techniques from good character modelers, then making your own decisions how to model stuff. I've always been a big fan of Bay Raitt (Gollums Modeler) and his techniques of edge loops etc he pretty much introduced the cg community to that technique (I think).

I will add however, that despite this model being Zbrushed its base mesh was still made from scratch in Maya to get those loops in position. Having the loops in place allows for a more natural sculpt in the way of muscle flow around the face. I think its easier this way, as good as ZB is and the amount of polys it handles models need to be manageable for blendshapes etc outside of the sofware so dont be 'blinded' by the Z factor in this area, Z adds the final touch to kick the model into place.

I think my friend and work colleague 'GioChrono' will vouch for me on this one....

Cheers for now
Jay

# 15 05-10-2007 , 11:47 AM
Hey Jay.

Thats what I ve been concentrating on with my model, tyying to get a nice flow and loop postioning so that I can add bits where I want them to be in Zbursh without going overboard with the geo levels.

Would you not consider modeling the blend shapes in Zbrush then exporting them back to maya to create teh blend shapes?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle