Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-01-2012 , 08:52 PM

Master's Student in Animation but new to Maya and in need of advice!

Hi all!

I'm studying a Master's degree in Animation and Design and have chosen to make the switch from using Lightwave, to using Maya.
My animation is a story of a 4yr old boy and his pet toad and is set in a garden. The production is aimed at 3-5 year olds and so the setting etc. is all made up of basic shapes. However, i have chosen not to use any language within the piece and to convey all emotion through facial expressions and the relationship and actions between the characters.
I've barely even started learning Maya yet due to the research content of my studies (but will do so through online tutorials) and was hoping for some tips and advice on animating facial expressions, from those in the know!

Greatly appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thanks.

# 2 04-01-2012 , 09:16 PM
The thin red line

# 3 04-01-2012 , 09:46 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey Jess welcome to SM there is tons of information here for you apart from the tut suggested by Dave check out this one on blend shapes its free and will show you a brief example of the quality of tutorials you can get here. Also the forums are great for support a critic. Many have made the treacherous journey from one program or another to Maya and SM is the best site to help that transition.

Let us know if you have any specific questions.

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...=157&sub_cat=0

- Jake