Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-05-2014 , 06:40 PM

UV Mess - How to separate UVs?

Hi,
why are these UVs not separated, although I selected the edges around the faces that should be separated (in 3d viewport) and "cut UV edges" them? See how the pull along/distort other UVs when I scale them.
user added image

The layout does not matter, I just want the big orange UVs to be a single shell(?), i.e. scaling and moving them in UV Editor should not affect any other UVs.

Last edited by borlag; 25-05-2014 at 09:37 AM.
# 2 24-05-2014 , 08:42 PM
The thin red line
I think this is a problem with using a scan mesh its to dense for maya to handle as it is, you could try making a low poly model with UVs of it the try to get a displacement map from the scan mesh. I think this would be better done in zbrush...............dave

# 3 25-05-2014 , 09:02 AM
thanks, daverave, you are always there to answer! could you see it's from a scan by the horrid layout or why?

could you elaborate on these steps you mention?
I'm very much in need of a better workflow for fixing donut-holes etc in 3D-scans, but I could not figure out how to e.g. use the original uv on the mesh remeshed in zbrush and still have it align properly.
tutoriallinks also very welcome.

SOLUTION (for the original problem, UVs stretch other UVs)in case someone wonders:
with the faces to be separated selected I chose "Split UVs" (not Cut UV Edge). That did free them (put them in an own shell, if that's the right terminus). If not I delete these UVs and apply an automatic mapping (create UVs) and go again from there.