Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 28-02-2004 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber

UV poly texturing problem i'm having

I went through Mike's tutorial on UV poly texturing. I mapped all the faces on a head i modeled. I took a UV snapshot, brought it into Maya as a tga and then did a simple texture. When I brought the image into Maya in the Hypershade and applied the texture to the head, the texture went wierd and went all over the head. So instead of the face texture being applied to the front and the half head texture being applied to both sides of the head, the texture looked like it wasn't mapped or something, even though I thought I had done the inital mapping okay.

I've attached a file of the mapped UVs that I would then take into Photoshop, create the layers and then make some simple textures. It shows the face, side of the head and a couple of teeth. (I also deleted one side of the head and duplicated the other side of the head so that the texture would apply to both sides). Can someone tell me if I've doing this right so far? Just that when I applied the texture in Maya, I didn't get the result. I know I'm doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Thanks, help much needed,
user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by greenleaf; 28-02-2004 at 08:38 PM.
# 2 28-02-2004 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
here is a screenshot of the problem i'm having. in this case, i just tried to only apply one texture to both sides of the head. i can see the shaded white shapes in the texture editor are similar to the uv mapped head shapes in the previous attachment but i didn't want to have the same texture applied to all parts of the head! can someone help me?! i'm not understanding something! thanx.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 28-02-2004 , 09:04 PM
The Maya Mountain
It loks like you have applied the texture as a projection texture. You'll want to assign a "normal" file rather than a projected file. Easiest way to do that is to select the projection node and it's 3D placement node and delete them. Then middle click from your file to the material and assign to color.

# 4 28-02-2004 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for your advice Mike, I'll give it a go and see how that works.
user added image

# 5 29-02-2004 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike, that seemed to work. I looked back at what I did and saw that I had a projected texture instead of a normal one. I have a question though, now I've managed to do a simple texture on the head, there is a noticeable seam all around the face where I separated the face from the rest of the head when mapping the UVs. Do I need to reconnect the edges somehow in the UV texture editor to get rid of the seam? I tried connecting the left side of the face to the left side of the head, but I have a problem connecting the right side of the face to the rest of the head.
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 29-02-2004 , 04:14 PM
The Maya Mountain
That will come with practice. You'll need to match the texture where the seams are for them to not be so visible.