Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-03-2006 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber

tin soldier

That's what I've been working on. My first animated textured model. He's now ready for compositing. I'll post some updates once I put him in his place an the shelf.
But so far any comments are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-03-2006 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
and one with rifle

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 28-03-2006 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
Hello farbtopf.

He'll look great animated, I like his slightly psychotic look in the first render!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 4 28-03-2006 , 04:47 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, he is actually animated. He's stabbing a baloon. And the face changes from a smile to psychotic when he grabs his rifle.

# 5 30-03-2006 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
ok here's a little update of him in his going to be environment, done in after effects. He's going to poke around with his rifle a little. I can post him animated as soon as I finished motion tracking him - and that might take ages... since the background is animated as well.
He's a bit too blury, and does anyone have an idea how I could give him a little shadow around his feet? To make him look a bit more "on the shelf"
Any other comments/tips very welcome as well.

im off to bed:zzz:

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 30-03-2006 , 02:13 AM
the best way to create a shadow from where he would be standing is as follows.
Create a plane, ideally the exact same size and shape as the top of the shelf, but realistically it can be just about any size. Then right click, and assign a new material that says "use background". The plane itself won't render, just any shadows (or relfections, if you want those - default is .5 reflectivity). It also won't show up in the alphamap, cept for shadowing stuff....
And that's it!

# 7 31-03-2006 , 06:57 PM
Nice work farbtopf - your model is looking very convincing.user added image

# 8 01-04-2006 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber
thaks for your tip xander-0 I've done that and it worked quite well. thanks for the nice words too arran. I'm still working on motiontracking him, but im nearly done as it was anightmare. The background was shot in good old stopframe animation so live wasn't able to do it and I had to eyeball his position for almost every frame. I'm also working on some gummibears falling out of the sweets bag. I hope to post some updates soon.

cheers guys user added image