Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-08-2006 , 09:47 AM
Subscriber

::::AAARRRRGGGGHHHH:::::: -> MAYA 8 !!!!!

2 weeks into Maya PLE, and doing well in the modeling fase (the rendering and other stuff is not been covered yet!!).
I'm finishing up mu assault mech tut by Kurt. Great tut btw.

Now bougt mself Maya 8, because THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO DO THE REST OF MY PROFESSIONAL LIFE!, (or die trying, ahum...).

So, installed everything opens up, looks quite the same,...
Big dissapointment thoug that my Mech tut doesn't open in M8, apparently the versions are not compatible. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

BUMMER.
So I can restart the whole thing in M8. Great! Talk about a steap learning curve!
I wanted to surprice you all with this finished model, and even tewture it afterwards,... but oh no. No go! Guess this was one of the running gags by those programmers. Grrrrr.

Anyhow.
I'm glad I got 8.
Too bad about the Mech. don't feel like finishing something in PLE whilst I got the full experience.

your dissapointed noob modeler...
M.

Attached Thumbnails

too_tough_to_die@mac.com (AIM)
Always up for a chat !
# 2 22-08-2006 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
where do you buy maya 8 from? and how much did it cost and how long did it take to get do your house?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 3 22-08-2006 , 11:30 PM
its not a joke by the programmers, its there to stop you going home creating something on the free version, taking it to a studio and rendering it for commercial value

i.e If you want to use it commercially you have to buy the licence.

P.S If you re-do your work it you will learn more from it as theres probably bits you can improve and/or missed.

Cheers

# 4 23-08-2006 , 01:45 AM
I'm sure you could export your model as an obj and read it back into maya 8 that way.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 23-08-2006 , 02:13 AM
I tried that once, trying to be sneakey!

Dosen't work though.

# 6 23-08-2006 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber
All right all right,
I got it.

This is a humble lesson in being impulsive. I should never have posted that, but I did: so I'll live with it.
And off course I understand, it would be too easy too make it at home on PLE and then go to a studio and render it out. Din't see the commercial trap in that but like I said, it was merely an impulsive act of an enthousiast. Didn't mean to be disrespecting ppl like the programmers.

M.

Always up for a chat !
# 7 23-08-2006 , 07:01 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by starjsjswars
where do you buy maya 8 from? and how much did it cost and how long did it take to get do your house?

yea.... can you answer this?

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
# 8 23-08-2006 , 07:16 AM

Originally posted by starjsjswars
yea.... can you answer this?

The cost might be different as you live in the US (im assuming) and cut_the_Krab lives in belgum, therefore the autodesk reseller will be different, and the type of licence might be different (do you want a full licence or a student licence?)

If you go on autodesk's site you will be able to do a search for a reseller/agant that will be able o price it up and give you lead times etc.

# 9 23-08-2006 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber

Strwrs

WTF are you that I should give you any answers dude.
Are you questioning my integrety as well as the one of the company I work for? Huh? Are you insinuating we didn't buy the product? And what you wanna know about my house?
Last time I checked I didn't need to give YOU any explanation on things, and this wil surely not change.
So uless you got anything remotly intersting to say, or want to give some funded critic I suggest you keep your mouth shut!! WTF do YOU think you ar brotha?

M.

Always up for a chat !
# 10 23-08-2006 , 09:11 AM
Emm ok dude calm down. He wasn't insinuating anything as far as I can see. He just wanted to know how long it took to arrive. The question was polite and didn't have a hidden meaning so let it go ok. The fact that you got so defensive about it actually makes me a little suspicious but it's up to you whether or not you have pirate software. HOWEVER this board is not the place to discuss it. End of story. If you want to answer the questions about delivery times etc then feel free but keep it civil.

user added image
A

Ps. That is WTF I think I am brotha! lol user added imageuser added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 11 23-08-2006 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
lol... i just got the autodesk email saying that they are shipping in not too long ago.... so i was wondering how you got it so fast and where you got it.... whoa you do seem suspicious. i didnt mean anything bad... peace brotha

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
# 12 23-08-2006 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber

APOLOGIES

Well I have to admit I COMPLETLY misunderstood that. And that has everything to do with me.
So... forgive me my uncontrolled reaction.

Not me but the company bought the software. How much they paid for it, I dunno 'cause it came in a package, with personal customer service etc. etc. total amount was 72.000+ €, including new G5's and fibre channel disk solutions by Rorke, new FCS Pro 5.1 and shake 4.1 Tons of ram (2x8Gb/ G5 ->Quad3ghz with 8Gb-Ram!!!!)

So...this said I can start over my model.

Sorry again.
:blush:

M.

Always up for a chat !
# 13 24-08-2006 , 05:33 AM
Subscriber
we cool

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista