Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-10-2007 , 03:02 PM

M4 Carbine

Here's the M4 I've worked on a month ago or so, and I am trying to texture right now.

user added image

Thoughts/comments/suggestions/criticism appreciated.

Also, does anyone know of any good texturing tutorials? I have no clue where to start..

# 2 25-10-2007 , 04:34 PM
very nice!
good detailed modeluser added image

You think you know, but you have no idea
# 3 25-10-2007 , 04:59 PM
Thanks. user added image

That was my first detailed model I've worked on and actually have gotten that far.

..I'll probably lose interest in texturing and start a new model though..

# 4 25-10-2007 , 07:42 PM
i was thinking about modelling an m4 carbine did you work off blueprints or reference photos, where did you start and if you did could i have a look at them all help would be great.
p.s that is an amazing detail job

# 5 26-10-2007 , 02:27 AM

Originally posted by anasasis
i was thinking about modelling an m4 carbine did you work off blueprints or reference photos, where did you start and if you did could i have a look at them all help would be great.
p.s that is an amazing detail job

I used two (huge) side view reference pictures. One was of the left side of the gun, the other of the right. They were from the same source too, so I barely had to do any re-adjusting in Maya to get them to match.
Besides those, I used about...5 to 10 other reference pictures, for parts like the iron sights, the 'for lack of better term' "bullet-ejector", and a few other parts.

..and thanks. user added image

Edit: Here are the two pictures I used to set up the reference planes:
https://www.colt.com/mil/downloads/m4_01.jpg
https://www.colt.com/mil/downloads/m4_02.jpg
They're pretty big lol..

Last edited by GhosTz; 26-10-2007 at 02:30 AM.