Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 21-01-2011 , 09:41 AM
SM Tea Boy

Free Friday Tutorial #5: Mental Ray Approximation Editor Basic

Maya Tutorial Mental Ray Approximation Editor on Vimeo

A very brief look at the Mental Ray Approximation Editor. This tutorial is intended for people that have no idea what the Mental Ray Approximation Editor is. If your sitting there thinking what on earth is it, then watch this.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 21-01-2011 , 11:58 AM
Lifetime Member
As I am having GREAT trouble with my Spitfire etc David in the challenge (I will be pulling out) as my laptop simply just isnt powerful enough...this AE will be better off for me when I do render to retain as much CPU resources as I can??? is this the case?

Cheers Ant

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 21-01-2011 , 12:05 PM
SM Tea Boy
Mate as it depends on your scene and the objects in it. Try it and see is the best answer i can give.

In some cases it will be faster in some slower. Not the answer you where looking for I know.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 21-01-2011 , 12:10 PM
The Nurb Herd

As I am having GREAT trouble with my Spitfire etc David in the challenge (I will be pulling out) as my laptop simply just isnt powerful enough...this AE will be better off for me when I do render to retain as much CPU resources as I can??? is this the case?

Cheers Ant

would you like some community collective render power?

# 5 21-01-2011 , 09:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
this is good to see, its very very useful.

I introduced this to the guys on my team at work, even my 3d supervisor, as they had never heard of it. I was concerned that because our work is quite heavily detailed there would be problems as we are not using renderman. this is a cool little nugget to know.

The thing for me is that despite having some seriously powerful gear to work on, the cards can only take so much when heavy scenes are complete, so by not using keyboard 3, and doing a render with a node attached to the model instead is a bloody god send, just like the renderman sd node!!

nice one Dave

Jay

# 6 21-01-2011 , 10:24 PM
Lifetime Member
At the moment dom yes LOL.....or a rather good holiday...though everywhere east of me seems to be inundated with water LOL. I will have to get a new rig for the house...nowhere to put it though...I may be banned to the man shed out the back when this new baby comes.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 22-01-2011 , 12:25 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for this tutorial. Sounds like it'd be good for my Park scene and animation when the time comes for smoothing it out.

# 8 04-04-2011 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber
Brilliant,
Another thing about Maya I didn't know about

# 9 04-08-2012 , 10:19 PM
Subscriber

Mental Ray Approximation Editor

yes, your absolutely correct, never heard of this before in any Mental Ray tutorial.
great stuff, thanks Dave...