Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-02-2011 , 07:25 AM

mib_color_mix connections ?

ahoi everyone!

I am currently experimenting with skin shading. Since my girl finally gets her own avatar version of herself I need to make use of misss_fast_skin_maya and misss_skin_specular. both shaders are about to be plugged into the mib_color_mix.

but either I missed a thing or made incorrect connections to the mib_color_mix or it is a buggy thing (which I dont believe!) I added an animatedGIF to show the rendered results. despite the quality of my settings in this stage it shows clearly that with the mib_color_mix (only the misss_fast_skin_maya is stuffed into it right now, but it looks the same with a second shader!) the scattering effect is lost -> watch the ear on the left side.

what I did is to simply drag and drop the sss shader onto the first slot of mib_color_mix. the connection editor shows:

misss_fast_skin_maya (outValue) --> mib_color_mix (color_0)

if I´d connect it to Color Base it will render completely black btw.

I did a lot of reading yesterday but still can´t figure out how to properly connect shaders (in particular SSS shaders) with the mib_color_mix.

can anyone please lend me a helping hand?

many thanks in advance
_falott

Attached Thumbnails

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 04-02-2011 , 11:20 AM
hi again,

I realized that this mib_color_mix isn´t a shader mixer but just a color mixing tool.
so...how should one be able to combine these shaders:

misss_fast_skin_maya + misss_skin_specular

other than rendering 2 single passes each time and composite them in photoshop?

there must be a reasonable way to do this entirely in maya.

any ideas?

# 3 04-02-2011 , 03:47 PM
well.. obviously there is no thread anywhere on the internet which descibes the process of hooking up 2 mentalray shaders properly in a layered setup or I´m just blind. on the other hand why not use the Specularity tab within the misss_fast_skin_maya since it should work the same way as misss_skin_specular does. honestly said, by now I can´t remenber why I was searching for a way to implement the specular skin shader. I guess misss_fast_skin_maya must do the trick as well.

# 4 04-02-2011 , 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Did you connect the misss' lightmap to the color_mix's shading grp?

- Genny
# 5 05-02-2011 , 11:22 AM
interesting question - no I didn´t. let´s try

doesn´t work either:

// Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya. //
// Error: (Mayatomr.Output) : failed during mental ray rendering: mental ray abort //

Last edited by Falott; 05-02-2011 at 11:39 AM.
# 6 05-02-2011 , 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

- Genny
# 7 06-02-2011 , 08:23 AM
ahoi!

Funny, I came across both articles while researching, but didn´t read through all the text!
I remember I had a good laugh tho ->

""....Initially, I tried just dragging and dropping it onto the geometry, the connection editor popped up, its not a material duh! So after that brain fart I tried figuring out..."

because thats exactly the same what happened to me in the beginning.

I will dig into your's and Jay´s explanations later this day. Thanks a lot for pointing to them again!