Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 06-06-2003 , 11:49 PM

A mental ray exercise

I have been wanting to take a good look at Mental Ray since I got Maya 4.5, so this is a small exercise I did for myself. As an idea, I used an image in the magazine "3D World".
This is done only with caustics. I was trying to mix caustics and final gather, but after 2 and a half hours it was still crunching, so I stopped it. Maybe I'll launch it tonight and see what happens tomorrow morning...

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 2 08-06-2003 , 03:44 AM
I like it. When I try caustics i just get a bunch of white dots. I tried raising the photons but that just made more dots, but I dont know.

Yours looks good except that the orange looks too rough.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 3 08-06-2003 , 04:10 AM
What I did was look on the Internet for tutorials, then I wrote down step by step what to set and what difference it makes. It may sound silly, but I keep it next to the computer for reference.
You are right about the orange. Thanks for the comment!

Sy
# 4 09-06-2003 , 10:02 PM
Here is another render with final gathering and some change in the caustics parameters. I also changed the textures of the table and the orange to make them more realistic.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 5 13-06-2003 , 12:50 AM
I have added some more reflections using HDRI. I think that looks better especially the spoon.

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 6 14-06-2003 , 08:47 PM
Is there nobody that wants to comment this?user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Sy
# 7 15-06-2003 , 04:02 AM
I really do like now, but I dont't know if it is because of the image compression or because of the testilation, but the plate looks a little rough around the edges.
Also try softening the shadow.

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 8 17-06-2003 , 05:03 AM
Here is a new version with softer shadows and global illumination. Strangely it keeps having this spotty appearance even though I the parameters, like number of photons, accuracy, etc, are very high, so high in fact, that half of the times I render it it crashes... I also set a higher anti-aliasing quality.
user added image

Sy
# 9 17-06-2003 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
wow, now that's cool...

you did a very good improvement ... I really like it! Now make a table so they dont float in air... user added image (or you can composite it on a real picture.. it'll be tricky but it'll turn out good)

-Emo

# 10 17-06-2003 , 07:11 PM
Compositing one from a picture? Now that is a GOOD IDEA!!!
Don't you tink it is a little spotty, like right under the orange? Changing number of photos and accuracy doesn't seem to make any difference...

Sy
# 11 23-06-2003 , 05:59 AM
I have changed something, trying to refine it.

user added image

Sy
# 12 23-06-2003 , 01:09 PM
Subscriber
the glass plate is a bit too light in last render. it is too reflective and letting not enough light through. maybe highering the translucense helps - not sure though if mr supports that with photons.