Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 20-11-2003 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber

My Actresses

This is my first final render. I am not planning on doing anything else to it as it fulfills its purpose as my windows desktop wallpaper. There's lots of stuff I'm not particularly happy with, but I am learning.

Oh! The actresses are (clockwise from left to right):

Charlotte Gainsbourg, Monica Bellucci, Juliette Binoche, Emmanuelle Beart, Audrey Tautou

Attached Thumbnails

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 2 20-11-2003 , 04:54 PM
I want you to know that everything you are doing is bad.

Michael Allen Reed
'the man behind the man'
www.crowboy.com/reed3d
"welcome to the real"
# 3 20-11-2003 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by eXistanZ
I want you to know that everything you are doing is bad.

I dont doubt it for one second! This is the first time I have ever rendered even close to final render in Maya. So... can you help out?

# 4 20-11-2003 , 05:07 PM
Just play with the lighting a bit more, use a depthmap shadow on your main light. This will give your render some more depth and pop out some of your geomerty.

eXistanZ, its not bad!!! This is his first render and compared to mine when I first started its not bad.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 20-11-2003 , 05:14 PM
Subscriber
Can one of the Mods move this to WIP?

I'd like to play around a bit with it and get some help from some of the SM community.

# 6 20-11-2003 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
Existanz that's a really daft comment, if you think it needs work, say where, otherwise that's the sort of comment you get on grim forums, not this one thank whatever gods you care to.

I'd think about adding some shadows as Kurt says Huxley and perhaps increase the smoothness on the monitor stands. You could also experiment with some spotlights and different materials on the pillars and see how that changes the atmosphere.

# 7 21-11-2003 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
OK, so I took your points in hand and went about playing around for a couple of hours.

Firstly, I modified the flatpanel model, replacing the base with a NURBS hemispehere that I scaled ... nice and easy.

Second, I scrubbed my pillars in favor of a more organic plinth. Again, the base is a NURBS hemispehere. The arms are polygon cylinders where the face has been extruded along a curve.

The number of lights has been ramped up from 3 to 8 and the intensities and colors have been toyed around with.

Finally, textures... this terrifies me. I created a velvety type shader for the backdrop curtain. I downloaded the Denfo shader for the stone. I'm in the process of pulling the Denfo shader apart to understand fully how it works.

I do have a question:

How do I produce a nice LCD panel glow on the images in the panels? I have currently applied a very low glow but it really lacks the "blueishness" that I'd like.

Any other crits, ideas etc. would be really welcome.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by rich; 21-11-2003 at 05:26 PM.
# 8 21-11-2003 , 06:06 PM
Subscriber
this last one is really nice.. and I think you got the flat panel glow really well. I think it rocks, but I personaly don't like the abstract base.. nice shader on it though.

# 9 24-11-2003 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
Yes, I agree... the base is a bit of an easy escape as I have no idea where to go with the bases. Maybe I'll extend the concept into a more realistic environment.

# 10 24-11-2003 , 11:28 AM
that would be nice user added image maybe you could put those monitors into a shop window scene like a tv hif fi shop user added image

I am not worthy!
# 11 24-11-2003 , 12:29 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ra1Der
that would be nice user added image maybe you could put those monitors into a shop window scene like a tv hif fi shop user added image

That's a good idea. I'll be able to practice my lighting and texturing.

I'll take a look out of the bus window on the way home from the office tonight and see if I cant find some inspiration from the numerous computer shops around Paris. I think I'd be more interested in doing a little ma-and-pa type store rather than a CompUSA or Best-Buy type deal.

Watch this space.

# 12 24-11-2003 , 01:09 PM
maybe you could have a security grill accross the window to, half closed would make for some great shadows!

I am not worthy!