Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 31-03-2006 , 01:41 AM
Subscriber

Updated planes

Some time ago (last summer, I think), I posted a .jpeg of a "cartoony" fighter plane of my own design (inspired by Raymond Loewy, Henry Dreyfuss, et al). I thought I'd share an updated (though by no means finished...you can never really finish these things!) version, complete with a second plane (again, quite freelanced) in pursuit.

I textured the models and added a simple sky backdrop. I only recently purchased a new computer with a directX 9 graphics card, so in the next version I plan to add some "fireworks" (now that I can render dynamics without crashing my 'puter!). Comments always welcome, and it's nice to be back on the forum!

(BTW next up, some fully rigged human characters engaging in lip-synched conversation, but one thing at a time! :-) )

Attached Thumbnails

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 31-03-2006 , 06:06 PM
Good work Lt Jim - these models have a nice cartoon feel to them and it looks like the textures are working pretty well. Are the planes supposed to be flying towards one another? If not, they look a little close at the moment so I might space them out a bit.

Well done! user added image

# 3 01-04-2006 , 07:03 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the kind words/encouragement, arran! Actually, the plane on the left is of the canard design (elevators in front, wings in the back) and has "pusher" propellers (ie they face backwards). BOTH planes are going in the same direction! :-)

But they ARE rather close together, and it's the only way I could really get both planes in the frame!

Regards,

Lt. Jim

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 4 01-04-2006 , 02:46 PM
Ooops! My mistake. Getting my google out and I am looking up canards. Cheers!

# 5 01-04-2006 , 05:16 PM
Subscriber
I really like it! The first one looks like a flying submarine:p

# 6 04-04-2006 , 02:53 PM
Subscriber
i love this.
it would be fun to animate.
very cute models.

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 7 04-04-2006 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber
Thanks, everyone! Animating these things is relatively easy. I did a "set driven key" for the ailerons, and the rudder and elevators are even easier to control. Yep, modelling is fun...but now I have to get back to the ORGANIC stuff! :-)

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 8 04-04-2006 , 10:54 PM
haha, these are so cool and cartoony but really cool too!

Live the life you love, love the life you live