Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 17-10-2011 , 05:33 PM

My first finished model-Thanks to a great tutorial!

I know, pretty basic (again-just starting out guysuser added image. The tutorial was great. Now I can make glass...everyday!

BUT seriously, I really had fun tinting the glass and modeling the nurbs curve. And I got a really nifty custom dialectic glass to save to my ever growing mia materials library. Could almost get the liquid to work (water) but something is weird there. I'll save that issue for a later date when i try my hand at it again.

So here's my fancy-pants water pitcher in a Don Bluth Checkerboard bounding -oom.

This isn't a final gather render (or even a high quality render as my current graphics card won't support the latter), but I hope you like it everyone.

So great to be in this community.

Cheers!

Travis

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 17-10-2011 at 05:37 PM.
# 2 17-10-2011 , 08:24 PM
SM Tea Boy

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 17-10-2011 , 08:48 PM
Hi David. Yep, this is where I got the awesome amazingly free tutorialuser added image. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try that next!

# 4 17-10-2011 , 10:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Excellent.

for your water troubles, I think its because the ray tracing setting need increasing in the render settings, its just a case of low ray bounces hence your trouble, increase the reflections etc it should work

Jay

# 5 19-10-2011 , 03:37 PM
Thanks Jay. You're proving to be very helpful mate.

# 6 20-10-2011 , 07:57 AM
Acid44
Jay's one of the most helpful people here, always has been user added image

Looks good man, keep pushing to learn more

# 7 20-10-2011 , 12:15 PM
hey Travis

no problem at all. I know how hard it can be when you are new to it all with the terminology (Im sure others will say the same), the web wasnt really formed when I started out, and now there's just tons of stuff to look at, it can get overwhelming. I try to explain stuff as simply as possible, and really its for those people who want to start from a ground level and work it up a bit at a time, as its the only way to do it properly and make what you've learned stick in the brain. Not those who jump in and want to do hair and fur at the drop of a hat and expect hollywood results and wonder why they cant achieve it.

Its good to see you are doing alot yourself, as we do get members who want it all on a plate...and I find that very very irritating...in my mind those who deserve the help will get it....

Acid: Thanks man....much appreciated

Jay

# 8 20-10-2011 , 12:23 PM
Senior Software Developer
Jay has been on SM for longer than I care to remember. I remember his starts, he may be great now! Back then... Well we all start some where. SM is a great community, and it's the reason I came back to it when I made the decision to go back to doing maya and CGI.

Listen to Jay he knows what he's talking about. *whispers* he doesnt really, he bluffs everything.

Oh... Er... Hi Jay. 😳 user added image

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 9 20-10-2011 , 07:51 PM
Thanks you guys.

Yeah, I'm putting in about 10 hours a day on Maya. Before work from 4 am and after work until about midnight or sometimes, well, you get the idea.

I find I actually learn the most by having to fix what I'm doing wrong, or where I've missed something. (You guys can read about this in my last post today in the newbie thread after finally figuring out on my own to some degree that I had screwed up my floating room scene in order to have it now finally fixed.) That and re-doing the same projects over and over again before moving on to others more advanced. Truthfully, being an artist in 2d for a very long time professionally, I know how easy it is for someone to wanna jump in and model the Delorean off the bat.

It was actually the first mistake I made when iI started my schooling. All I was supposed to do was an 8 foot room that was moderately photo-realistic with simple props. They would have been ahppy with a cardboard box in the middle of a room if it were done well. And my instructors told me this. I instead proceeded to get lost modeling a 90 by 100 foot space room orbiting a gas giant out the window. Then blowing out the scene after creating 10 thousand individually lit stars...then while spending 3 hours going outside the room to start deleting them after their light blew out said scene ( I threw them-in scale -out into the cosmos), I got lost in space and couldn't get back to my room.

Another hour just searching for my stage and zooming in. "Nope, another star."

Lost that version as I hadn't saved it or incrementaled it.

My point is...I am so committed to the software now. I get sheer joy, even though I know I'm doing basic stuff right now ( I remember before I became a professional storyboard artist picking up my first art book- so I keep that very much in perspective)in just creating something like that pitcher, or lighting a room properly, or a screwdriver...I don't even care. It's art. And It's Maya. And at some point, I'll be able to snatch the pea from my masters hand.

I am simply enjoying the journey, and really just thank you guys for everything to this point.

Best,

Travis

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 20-10-2011 at 08:03 PM.
# 10 20-10-2011 , 08:22 PM
yeah I get that....I guess we can all get carried away, but you have managed to reel yourself in so thats good

Public 'R@nsid' Function: Yeah I remember those days, I think one of my characters is still in the gallery.....I'll have a look....now I'm part of the furniture....

Jay

# 11 20-10-2011 , 08:37 PM