Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 09-02-2008 , 08:41 PM

Uv Baking

Does anyone know how to bake one set of uvs (textured) to another set of uvs for the same model. For that matter, can Maya handle more than one uv coordinate per vert? Basically Ive got this crazily uv'd model given to me, which has uv's which are scaled way beyond the 0-1 coordinates with a tiless texture. I need to bake some ambient occlusion onto it and so would like to set up a sort of atlas uv map to bake all the current textures to. This is how I would do it in LW, maybe in maya its totally diff but I cant seem to find any documentation on baking one uv to another.
Thanks

# 2 11-02-2008 , 09:22 AM
it´s not so difficult.

viewport is allways showing the default uvmap called "map1". you can find it in the UV Editor in dropdown menu "UV Sets"

now do following ->

- in UV Editor open Polygons and hit "Create Empty UV Set"
- then "Copy UVs to UVS Set... -> new"
- delete history

now your original UVs are saved.

next U can switch to channel map1 again to create new UVs. or you might also duplicate your geometry, layout the UVs there and perform then a "Transfer Attributes" operation to copy UVs from first object to duped obj (you can move verts around and still transfer, but it does not work anymore after you added or deleted edges/verts/faces) - just for U to know..

after your UVs are saved and you created new UVs copy them into a new UV Set2. delete history and that´s it. now you can swith between your sets.

if you like to use both sets at the same time for diffuse map and a tileable map you have to open the
Relationship Editor from Window dropdown menu - you may use "UV Linking -> UV-Centric". select your obj with 2 UVsets. it´ll be loaded left with the shader right

you see your sets and your two textures (in case you mapped diffuse and maybe bumpmap)

link uvs to according maps. (in the hypershader you see that maya added a node called UVchooser)

good luck!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 12-02-2008 , 10:50 AM
Thanks Falott, I was starting to wonder if mentioning lw here was taboo! This was very helpful.