Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-05-2009 , 09:41 PM

Texturing objects separately

I have two world meshes, one for the land and the other for the ocean. When I load the land texture, they both get textured with it. Even if I select just the ocean mesh and load the ocean texture, they then both get textured with the ocean texture!

How can I get two different textures on two different meshes?

# 2 23-05-2009 , 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
I think you have the same shader assigned to both meshes. Probably should hit the help docs on working with shaders.

Edit: Make it a habit NOT to mess with the "lambert1" shader or the initial shading group. Its made whenever you make a new scene and is automatically assigned to new geometry so they can be rendered.

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 24-05-2009 at 12:58 AM.
# 3 23-05-2009 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
are you assigning new materials to each object?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 24-05-2009 , 02:05 AM

Re: Texturing objects separately

Originally posted by fox95871
I have two world meshes, one for the land and the other for the ocean. When I load the land texture, they both get textured with it. Even if I select just the ocean mesh and load the ocean texture, they then both get textured with the ocean texture!

How can I get two different textures on two different meshes?

Yeah, like Genevieve said, sounds like you used the lambert to add your texture. I know I did that and where scratching my head when I started with Maya.

# 5 25-05-2009 , 10:18 AM
user added image user added image user added image

# 6 26-05-2009 , 02:40 PM
Thanks, I'll try what you all suggested and let you know how it worked later this week.

# 7 27-05-2009 , 02:00 PM
Awesome, thanks! Here's what I did...

After some searching in the docs for shaders, all I could find was some stereo instruction sounding stuff like "for more information go here" and once there "for more information go here" etc., so I just went to the much friendlier cracker box tutorial I remembered, and in practically no time I relearned about right clicking the object and hitting Assign new material, and from there I was able to figure out the rest on my own. For both objects I: hit the black and white checkered icon next to the color slider, hit File on the window that came up, then back on the previous window hit the folder icon to select my bmps. Now each one has it's own separate shader and texture!

Just one more quick question since it sort of relates. As far as the lambert and other shaders are concerned, to any seasoned Maya veterans, what shader is: full bright, no specular, and basically like an origami sphere over a lightbulb so the texture always looks exactly like it did in Photoshop from any angle? The reason I'm asking is because I'm importing to Blitz3D and I want it to be as close to the settings I have there as possible when I work with it in Maya. Having some sides getting darker because their orientation to the camera changes really messes up my perception since it won't be doing that at all in the game. I've temporarily solved this problem by putting the incandescence for lambert all the way up. It looks right, but I don't know what I'm doing.

Since I'm new to this forum I want to contribute now by saying, to anyone who uses Maya for making Blitz3D media, remember: always make sure you make your models white before exporting them! If you don't, and just use the default grey color, your textures will all show up way too dark in the game. I don't know if many people here use Blitz, but it could be true for other applications as well.

Last edited by fox95871; 27-05-2009 at 02:04 PM.
# 8 27-05-2009 , 03:32 PM
Hi,

try the material called "surface shader".

cheers

gubar

# 9 29-05-2009 , 03:47 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.