Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-01-2016 , 01:43 AM

camera environment/image planes

hi all,

I've been experimenting with camera projections recently. The whole thing seems relatively easy but there's one element that is stumping me -

I create a camera and image plane, adding an image to the plane as per a standard procedure. My problems start when I want to get at that plane later - I've been setting them to 'looking through camera' as opposed to 'all views' in the visibility options upon creation. If I hide the plane (CTRL-H) at any point, I can't for the life of me find the node anywhere to get it back in the viewport, or to adjust any options I might need to.
I can't get at it through the camera attributes, and I've dug all round the hypershade and in hypergraph>connections and come up blank...

anyone.../

thanks

J

# 2 29-01-2016 , 02:18 PM
EduSciVis-er
It should still show up in the attribute editor, alongside your camera. In the outliner, choose Display > Shapes, and then toggle open your camera shape and it should be below that too.

# 3 29-01-2016 , 05:23 PM
No it's not in the AE - not in its own tab anyway. I can see the create button under 'environment ' in the camera shape AE, but clicking on the little connection arrow does nothing.
It's not in the outliner either, even with 'DAG only' unchecked and 'shapes' on.

Just a thought - I've linked a material and image to the camera to create the projection. Would that alter the connection hierarchy?

# 4 29-01-2016 , 06:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yes, I'm not sure exactly your process. You've said you added an image "as per standard procedure" but perhaps you could explain exactly what you've done.

# 5 31-01-2016 , 09:08 PM

Yes, I'm not sure exactly your process. You've said you added an image "as per standard procedure" but perhaps you could explain exactly what you've done.

Clicked 'create' under 'environment' in the camera attributes tab, and then loaded an image file in the image plane attributes,

Then, assigned a lambert to my geometry, created a file node (as projection) for the diffuse, loaded in the same image file I used in the image plane into the file node, then linked that projection node to the camera.

When first creating the image plane I've set it to 'only this camera' (or whatever it is) so I can only see the image plane in that camera view so as to avoid confusion. But if i need later to view that image plane in another camera; I cant find the attribute panel I need to check the 'in all views' option

# 6 01-02-2016 , 12:29 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well I can't even get the camera linked to the projection, so I'm not sure I can help out much. It just reverts back to None in the dropdown.

# 7 01-02-2016 , 06:31 PM
Lifetime Member
Strange. For me it seems to work. Projection type is set to perspective and link to camera gives me a list of all perspective cameras in the scene. The image plane on the projection plane stays intact.

Earth: The crazy asylum of the universe.
# 8 02-02-2016 , 09:09 PM
hey guys - errm.. I've suddenly discovered all my image plane nodes in the hypershade under the camera tab. I must've missed them as I was so concerned with checking the actual cameras and trying to find the image planes in the camera networks.
It never occurred to me that the image panes might me sitting right there as their own independent node.

Sorry 'bout that. Case of 'wood for the trees..'