Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 29-03-2006 , 01:20 AM

Peeling paint texture--any thoughts?

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a peeling paint texture and don't want to use a bumpmap or image plane. I'm going for the actual, 3D look of peeling. I'm thinking of trying a double-layer of "wall." The room is a polygon cube (minus one side) and perhaps if I put a poly plane against it, make some jagged CVs on it and pull at it, it will get the right look... However, I think there's a way to do it with a layered shader. Unfortunately, I'm not overly skilled at Maya and am most likely attempting something above my level...

Has anyone attempted this? If so, any suggestions on methods to use??

Thanks!

# 2 12-04-2006 , 05:20 PM
Call me crazy if you like, but the way I would do it would be to create a bunch of pieces that are bent up on the edges, put them all together on a surface and render away, because if you look at peeling paint, the pieces usually are bent up around the edges . .. . so if your going for a 3D look, that would be the most realistic way to go, if that is what you are shooting for . . .

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche