Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-12-2006 , 05:26 PM
Subscriber

repeating textures

Hi there,
I was just currious, lets say you got a wall, but the wall is not a flat rectangle. For example, maybe you have duck vents. But for the main part when it comes to texturing, you notice you could create a repeating texture, and you want the texture of the dock vents to line-up with the rest of the wall. So in other words, lets say this wall has 4 duck vents, and the wall paper is repeating flowers. You notice as long as you create the texture to the correct size, you can repeat the flowers and the dock vent 4 times. However, my question is how could I go about this in order the texture lines-up correctly and without making the texture too big, along with you have a maxium texture resource memory of 1024.

I tried mapping the uv's of the whole wall to fit in the 1 to 1 texture coordinates, but when I import the image back to Maya, the repeating flowers are too big. The only thing I can think of is to map an area of the uv's of at least fit one full tile that includes the repeating flowers and one dock vent. Then when I go to import it, I tell Mays to repeat the map 4 times. Is this how you would go about this?

# 2 03-12-2006 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
JunkyBob,

Oh yeah. That sounds like how'd I have a go at it.

So, I'd UV map 1/4 of the wall and vent and do a UV snapshot
I'd color fill the right part of the texmap & save it
I'd then go back and UV map the whole wall
Apply a new material with the texmap assigned to colour
Then just adjust the material's place2dTexture node so that the image is repeated 2 times in each direction.

But if the only problem so far is the flowers, perhaps you could increase the repeat count?

Simon

Hey, don't you actually have a max texture size of 1024(u) x 1024(v) x 4(RGBA) = 4Mb?

# 3 04-12-2006 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
Hi,
enhzflep wrote

Hey, don't you actually have a max texture size of 1024(u) x 1024(v) x 4(RGBA) = 4Mb?

Yes in a sense. I am actually doing a corridor where the entire corridor will be a total texture map size of 1024x1024. As for the flower example, that was just an example to use as a question in general, but I guess the best way of explaining it would of been to show you the reference. Here is the reference I found I would like trying to do...
user added image
As you can see I do not know what those things that are sticking out of the walls are called but you should notice that there is a repeating pattern. So any ideas how I can go about this from you guys would be big help for me.

# 4 04-12-2006 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
Hi there again JunkyBob.

I see, I see. That's bound to be a little fun.

Well, everything I said before was based on the assumption that it was only going to be 2D, without any vents actually sticking out with geometry.

However, in this you need a rather different approach - obviously. So, firstly all the tvs are showing the same pic, all the vents are the same size and position and all the floors are the same. Okay we know all that, but let me draw your attention to point 2.

They're all the same size and position.. I'd be amazed if somebody would actually model this entire coridoor as it stands. More likely than not, they'd model 1/4 of the length and 1/2 of the width. Use the 1024x1024 texture map on that 1/8th of the coridoor, then depending on the intended use, either create another 7 instances of the same geom, or just create another 7 copies of the same geometry.

If they're copies rather than instances just do a poly->combine on them all at the end.

So, you'd model a screen, a vent the floor and roof. along with the piece of wall that runs between adjacent screens.

In the picture you posted this would be like having 8 1024x1024 pixel texture maps (albeit all identical)
But for only 4 Mb in memory, and less(assuming compression) in disk-space. Similarly instancing the geometry saves all the geometry data being repeated, only duplicating a transformation matrix and a few other bits and pieces for each instance.

Simon.

# 5 04-12-2006 , 08:50 AM
Subscriber
enhzflep,

are you saying something like this...

First off, after doing some thinking, I think I am going to increase the total memory to 4 512x512, 2 256x256, and 1 512x512.

Second, each color stands for a seperate peice of model, and each of them would have their own map. I also marked the sizes of what each map would be. The only thing I did not color map are the 2 256x256 maps and the 512x512 map. The first 256x256 map would be for the pipes and the 2nd 256x256 map would be for the other part of the floor that is not colored in the example. The 512x512 map would be for the doors. I think for right now the most important part is making sure I understand you correctly with the 4 shaded colors I gave in the below example.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-12-2006 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
Yes, Yes! Indeed. Kinda forgot about the pipes on the roof. oops..

But yes, this is pretty much exactly what I had in mind.

Just do all the detail once, then repeat ad-naseum. user added image

I may be tempted to use a 128 * 512 for the uncolored part of the floor, but like you say - that's not the important bit, I wish I'd thought of color coding the image myself, nice one.

Simon.

EDIT: Just the green and yellow bits - they don't have to reach from side to side. They're both mirrored accross the centre-line of the hall, yeah?

Edit#2: - Here's how I'd divide the texture up. (except for the pipes)
Resolution I'd decide based on how close I was planning to get to the walls and the resolution of the output device. Alex Alvarez has a good article on texture resolution, if you've not read it.

Last edited by enhzflep; 04-12-2006 at 02:36 PM.
# 7 04-12-2006 , 02:37 PM
Subscriber
Hmm, guess you can't edit a post and add an image ifd there wasn't one previously.

Here 'tis.

Attached Images
# 8 05-12-2006 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
Thanks so much enhzflep, or should I call you simon. user added image You were a big help.

- Bob

# 9 05-12-2006 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber
That's ok JunkyBob.

It's a pleasure to help.

"You can call me Susan if it makes you happy" - Bullet Tooth Tony(snatch)

Simon's what I write on legal stuff.