Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 06-10-2008 , 11:11 AM
Subscriber
another update , quite pleased with its progress so far just need to do mesh n stuff and moving on to the door user added image) any ideas how to do grills/meshing would be great ty

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 07-10-2008 , 07:02 AM
Subscriber
ok so update so far finaly got a bit of webspace so heres what ive got so far not amazing but im realy pleased with it
any c+c is more than welcome as always even had a go at doing door handle i think its pretty good for my first ever try lol i know the images seem a bit crushed but i dont know how to render with wireframes on :/

wire frame norm
user added image

wire frame smoothed
user added image

unwired norm
user added image

unwired smoothed
user added image

door handle
user added image

Last edited by Sicky; 07-10-2008 at 07:17 AM.
# 18 07-10-2008 , 11:43 PM
Subscriber
little update going to start workin on the mirror now
user added image

# 19 08-10-2008 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
i think softening the edges woulc be better than smoothing... your poly count wont dramatically boost that way

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 08-10-2008 , 08:14 PM
Subscriber
how does one go about that then lol im still not knowledgeable with the tools of maya

# 21 08-10-2008 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
first, you can see if an edge is hard or not if you go
Display > Polygons > Soft/Hard Edges
depending on whether or not Display > Polygons > Limit to Selected is toggled on or off will affect if you see this for all polygons or not

hard edges are solid edges, soft edges are dotted lines

to soften or harden an edge, select the edge and if you've still got the default marking menus then hold shift, hold right click, and go Soften/Harden Edge and select something from there

i think it's important that you know what you just did so i'm gonna try explain without getting too technical...

each face has a normal. that normal points in one direction and is perpendicular to the face (it points at right angles). the way the normal faces determines the way the light bounces off it, and thus how you see it when it's rendered

by softening the edge (aka softening the normals) you change the way the normal is facing as you get closer to the edge so it matches the same way the normal of the adjacent face is pointing.

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 22 08-10-2008 , 09:47 PM
Subscriber
right so like horizontal edges should be soft ? rtaher than veticals to simulate light bounce? that right where about in nz r u from btw

# 23 08-10-2008 , 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
i think softening the edges woulc be better than smoothing... your poly count wont dramatically boost that way

Unless your on a poly budget I wouldent bother.

Smoothing a mesh does what it says as well as subdividing the surface.

Just smooth up one level, it looks like you've smoothed twice and hence the dense mesh, if it dosent look right with one smooth go back to the low poly mesh and give that a tweek. Doing one smooth level lets you see what problems you may have with the underlying mesh, you can always undo it tweek and then reapply (or use the smooth mesh preview)

Modeling edges in to be smooth/hard will give a better representation of the surface when rendering.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 24 08-10-2008 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
tryed with just 1 division on the poly smooth its picked up a few bits but xactly the same now

# 25 08-10-2008 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Sicky
right so like horizontal edges should be soft ? rtaher than veticals to simulate light bounce? that right where about in nz r u from btw

whereever you see two faces that look distinct from each other from a render and dont want it to be distinct and sharp looking you would soften the edge

I'm from South Auckland

# 26 08-10-2008 , 10:47 PM
Subscriber
ahhh right would this also alter relfections etc?

i used to live in auckland howick i used to live few years ago now

# 27 09-10-2008 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
hmm...
i've never actually compared

you can pioneer that for me user added image

why'd you move from howick?

# 28 09-10-2008 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
will do / came back to uk family missing family etc etc

# 29 09-10-2008 , 02:00 AM
Subscriber
another update so far coming along nicely not sure about the rear arch tho looks far to fat and not define enough for my liking *edit might actualy redo it the lines are a bit messy anyway
user added image

Last edited by Sicky; 09-10-2008 at 03:28 AM.
# 30 10-10-2008 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
k bit of a update i totaly redid the rear fender i just didnt liek the arch so i redid the full panel as i thought it would be easyier i also gave the roof a bash not to bad (i think any ideas on how to do it better is much oblidged ) anyways im realy pleased with this i have a sense of achement i know its not perfect but i think it looks good lol

persp
user added image

side
user added image

and finaly rear i know theres a few points that are out im just rtyin to find out how i can rework it lol
user added image