Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-12-2008 , 07:50 AM

Lost City of Atlantis

I have some free time so I thought I'd do another side project. I wasn't planning on posting it but I figured "Why not?" Anyway, I started it 4 days ago and here's what I have so far.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 21-12-2008 , 08:04 AM
Thats.....Awesome!

I really can't wait to see some more updates to it!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 21-12-2008 , 10:55 AM
thats looks very awesome

# 4 21-12-2008 , 06:52 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Sweetness Dude!!

Please post some close ups and some wire for us sickos

Jay

# 5 21-12-2008 , 09:11 PM
Yeah very good work and i can't wait also.user added image

# 6 21-12-2008 , 09:44 PM
Location: Netherlands/Holland (tiny country west of Germany for those of you who don't know)
That looks awesome, do not forget to add some puddle jumpers flying around when you are finished with the city itself. user added image
That gives me an idea...

Last edited by Olim; 22-12-2008 at 01:18 PM.
# 7 22-12-2008 , 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the comments. The model is a little deceiving. I've actually only modeled about 1/4th of what you see. Everything else is just copies or instances with small tweaks here and there. So once I model an item, I just duplicate it several times. Plus things aren't really very detailed, mostly just basic shapes.

The only hard part was trying to figure out what stuff looks like. I had to be creative on several parts of the model since it's hard to see details in the reference images I found on the internet. Not to mention that the reference images are not all the same. I think the producers may have changed the model a few times during the seasons. Sometimes I had to use reference images of other peoples models because there are a few good REALLY HIGH resolution images that allow you zoom in close.

I'll post some close up images and wireframes...a few at a time.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 8 22-12-2008 , 10:59 AM
(I am new to 3D animation) It is perfect. It can give me an idea. I am waitting for the close up pictures.

# 9 22-12-2008 , 03:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think people will have noticed that its duplicated, but it still looks really good. I cant imagine how long it would take if you didn't duplicate things. Its very crisp, looking forward to some updates.

# 10 23-12-2008 , 01:04 AM
Acid44
yea, you can telll it's duped, but still, that's friggin amazing, i can't wait to see close ups

user added image

# 11 23-12-2008 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
i'm most curious to know how many polys it takes up, it looks so awesome!

at the tme of me seeing this post perfecto had 999 posts user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 23-12-2008 , 01:32 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
yeah look forward to seeing some wires of this.

with regard to it being duped, it doesnt matter, as I look out of the window here, it looks like someone has instanced our entire street, as the houses look the same.....

Jay

# 13 23-12-2008 , 10:05 PM
I'll post some close ups and wires hopefully in about 8 hours from now. Haven't had any time due to the holidays and work. So by this time tomorrow I should have plenty of close ups and wires posted. I will post a poly count too, but I'm guessing I have about 1/2 mil or close to it. If everything were quads, it would be much much higher but since most objects are flat surfaces, not everything is in quads.

By the way, I'm going to be doing my first attempt at creating an animated short. I won't say what it is but I will create a WIP for it. It will be something completely different for me so I will have to learn everything. I'm hoping by posting a WIP and my progess (including successes and failures) many others will learn too. I think it will be fun. I should be able to start the WIP before the New Year.

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 23-12-2008 , 10:51 PM
How long it took you to do the model ?
It's very complex and good looking user added image I'm just thinking and this will take me a lot of days...

I will watch this !!!!

waiting for more

p.s share some technique of modeling this city sceans.
You have sketchs of this ?

user added image

# 15 23-12-2008 , 11:44 PM
I have roughly about 16-20 hours of modeling into it. But I also spent about the same amount of time looking for references and studying them.

Exceed Expectations!