Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-07-2009 , 07:35 PM

smoke filled glass ball WIP

Hey guys! Here it is im still working on it and its not done yet. I realize there are a few issues to work out. Like the smoke seems to move to fast, or stutters at parts in play back (only starting stuttering when i exported it to a video) Anyway let me know what you guys thing!

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...mokesphere.flv

# 2 14-07-2009 , 03:43 PM

# 3 14-07-2009 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
the second one is easier to see than the first one

what are you doing to make these effects? i'm going to assume fluids?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 4 14-07-2009 , 11:54 PM
Yeah I have the glass sphere, and inside it another sphere scaled down that emits the smoke. At first for the first one to get that bluish glow, i stuck a point light inside and cranked up the intensity and had raytrace shadows on. I tried deep shadow maps to speed up rendering but couldnt get anywhere near the same result.

In the last one there actually isnt a point light making it all redish. The smoke is emitting tempature which is what gives it that color. As there is no need for that light i dont need raytrace shadows so the render times are relatively quicker. Im working on a blue one, they are still not perfect but im getting thereuser added image

# 5 15-07-2009 , 04:15 PM
Heres the blue one, it might be a little harder to see than the red one. I also figured out what was causing the stuttering. When i saved it out to movie it would set a keyframe every 24 frames. I turned that off and no more stuttering

https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...okesphere3.flv