Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 21-12-2010 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber

Total newbie modeling question...sorry!!

Hi all,

I was doing the Interior Design tutorial(modeling) & I got totally stumped at the 2 minute mark of the first video where the tutor snaps vertices to other vertices but doesn't explain how to? I know I can just use the move tool, but just wondered of the shortcut she used. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

# 2 21-12-2010 , 05:19 PM
SM Tea Boy
to snap one vert to another press and hold the v key while your moving the vert

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 21-12-2010 , 05:24 PM
The thin red line
Select the vert you want to move the arrow should be over it, then put the curser over the one you want to be moved to hold down the "v" button and with the middle mouse button hold down and slitly move that should snap the other vert to it. Also work for the grid with the "x" button..............dave

Edit:Snap

# 4 21-12-2010 , 10:45 PM
EduSciVis-er
And don't apologize for posting, no one's going to get mad at you user added image
Although you might get a faster/better response if your thread title has something to do with your question, like "Snapping vertices - Interior Design" or something.

# 5 21-12-2010 , 11:18 PM
Administrator

And don't apologize for posting, no one's going to get mad at you user added image
Although you might get a faster/better response if your thread title has something to do with your question, like "Snapping vertices - Interior Design" or something.

Or if it is posted in the modeling section where it belongsuser added image No worries though, this timeuser added image

# 6 22-12-2010 , 12:47 AM
Subscriber
cool, thanks for your replies guys. That should make me a little bit quicker now :-)

# 7 22-12-2010 , 01:06 AM
Lifetime Member
ooohhhhh the ref has red carded...

good luck with it mate...thats one of my next tuts...hope you get through it alright!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 23-12-2010 , 03:42 PM
There are three primary snapping modes:

1. grid (x)
2. vertex (v)
3. curve (c)

They all operate the same way.

1. start by selecting a vertice to snap

2. then press and hold either x, v, or c-key down

3. move the cursor over a grid line or intersection (x), a vertex (v), or a curve/edge (c)

4. then middle-mouse-button / gesture (press the middle mouse button and move the mouse) and the vertex from step one will snap to the grid, vertex, or curve.

You can restrict the snapping along an axis by first selecting one of the three axis handles on the move manipulator (it will highlight in yellow) before following the steps above.

Also, for the snap to curve, if you continue to hold the middle mouse button down you can slide the selected vertex in step one up and down the edge or curve.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675