Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-05-2003 , 04:46 PM

2 monitors: perspective view on second screen

Hi!
I have 2 monitors and want to have only the perspective view on the second monitor. How can I do that? How can I move a perspective/orthrographic window?

CU morpher
# 2 08-05-2003 , 07:07 PM
Subscriber
as soon as I get a second video card, I'll go dual too but until them I'm not sure if this would work..

open Maya, and in the persp window there'll be a menu, go to Panel and from it select Tear Off

that will "tear off" the persp window in a pop up. Then you can move it to the second monitor leaving the top/side/front views in it's place

-Emo

# 3 08-05-2003 , 08:50 PM
THX - I will try tomorrow if it works and will post wether or not.

CU morpher
# 4 08-05-2003 , 09:04 PM
Depending on the video card(s) you have, you may run into some performance issues by putting perspective view on your second monitor. AFAIK, OpenGL only runs on one monitor at a time. Also, I have seen reports that the hotbox and other popup menus only show up on your main monitor. In my brief testing, I've seen this happen (I generally only run Maya on one monitor and stash everything else on my second display). Never hurts to try though.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 09-05-2003 , 12:49 AM
Why not have two parallel windows, maximize maya across both windows and put the seperator of the two windows in the edge of the two meeting monitors.

Also, i may think about getting two monitors in the future, but i was wondering if you could disable one when not using it cos i hate having to size the windows of open prgrams to just one monitor. Or could you set windows to maximize in just one monitor.

user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 6 09-05-2003 , 01:18 AM
AFAIK, windows and applications will only maximize to one display. I only know of 2 apps that actually have settings for dual displays: Softimage and Combustion. Premiere might also work as well (I haven't touched it in years). All other apps only recognize single displays. Naturally, this depends on your displays drivers. I believe that Nvidia's Nview software will allow Windows to recognize both displays as a single monitor instead of 2 distinct ones with extended desktop.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 7 09-05-2003 , 05:19 AM
it works fine for me- my Ati Radeon 9700 Pro has no problem with showing the perspective window in my second monitor. The only mad thing is that if I close maya and start it again the perspective window is on my first monitor again. Is there a way to save the window position in maya?

CU morpher
# 8 09-05-2003 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber
There should be.... hmmm... I can't really say how since I dont have 2 monitors ... yet user added image

-Emo