Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-01-2012 , 02:06 AM

Mental ray render issues (Vue)

Hello,

This is my first attempt at a using Maya along with Vue. After importing my model and new sky scene back into Maya, i'm having problems with rendering. Firstly despite smooth geometry in viewport, the render still comes out with sharp edges. Had a search around google before coming here and learnt about mental ray's hatred of all things that aren't quads. (Vue lovingly sliced all my polys in half!) I stuck a 'quadrangulate' over some of the model with varying amounts of success. I even went in and removed all tris by hand (Section under cockpit), but edges still remain sharp. Have also tried the smooth tool but with no luck.

https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...0/Spitwire.jpg

https://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r.../Spitwire2.jpg

Secondy, i'm trying to apply a Blinn shader to the whole thing. Again, in viewport it's visible but during render it remains and a lambert.

Still relatively new to Maya, so could potentially be an oversight on my part...

Cheers

# 2 12-01-2012 , 06:29 AM
Try converting smooth mesh preview to poly its found under convert, Hitting 3 is just a preview of the smoothing.

# 3 12-01-2012 , 07:20 AM
Acid44
Mental Ray is usually fine with tris these days. Looks like the model is in quite a few different parts, which is usually done as a simply solution to harden edges on low poly objects. I'm guessing you've downloaded the model? If so, you may want just have to merge some vertices to get the result you want, if you modeled it yourself, then you might be better off going back a bit to an earlier version of the model, if possible, and doing things a bit differently

Just my 2 cents, though I'm just going by what I can see in the pictures

# 4 12-01-2012 , 05:18 PM
Cheers for the replies.

Turns out subdivisions needed to be made before taking it into Vue. Makes sense now that I think about it!