Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-07-2005 , 01:25 AM

need help creating the next step of a character

Hey everyone,

I am a NEWBIE to maya and i need help along my path of creating a skeleton character. What i have so far is just NURB cylinders and spheres that pretty much make up his basic joints and head, arms, legs, etc. you can see a printshot here:

https://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/skullguy.jpg

The problem is..since i'm new i have no idea what i'm doing user added image so i don't know what the next step is. How do i sew up all these parts to make one complete body? And if that's not the next step, what is? After that, i need to add detail to the face and then paint him. And then finally after that, i need to animate him so his head bobbles and mouth moves as if he's speaking.

any help on what i need to do next would be much appreciated...

# 2 14-07-2005 , 03:59 PM
ok so you created the basic of your char. with nurbs.when you have finished modeling with nurb, you should convert all the part of your body in polygone and after make only one object.ex:you begin by convert the head and the neck and you hide all other part so you can easily attach these two part togeter.to attach part:you must insert these part one in the other.(its so difficult to explain)you delete the faces in the head so you can see the neck(i dont know how toexplain correctl)when you are in your head.after you select your too polygone object and you go to polygone-combine.then we want to see that the two one are connetced togeter so you merge the vertex that goes togeter(i hope you know what i means lol). you make that for all part of you body.you should download the cartoon dog tutorial.user added image

scuse me for my bad english

# 3 15-07-2005 , 05:14 PM
That's a pretty big request. You may want to purchase a character book or search on the web.

That said, you want to finish your modeling, unless you are happy with the spheres and cylinders. You do not need to convert to polys, in fact, for the bones, you may be better off with nurbs, since they are sweeping shapes. I don't know why you would want to combine shapes if you used polys - you'd want to keep the individual bones separate for rigging.

However, you should do your modeling in a standard, standing pose. Modeling against a bent up drawing like that will only get you in trouble with sizing, and then the rigging will be easier if you actually have everything in the right place. You don't want to rig crunched up like that.

When your model is done, you will create "bones" to represent the skeleton for your character. Since all these shapes are "hard" - ie there is no skin to fold, or anything, you will have it easy. All you will need to do is group your bone geometry under the "bones", and then as you rotate the "bones" of your rig, your geometry will follow along. If you model it like a real skeleton, you can make a jaw bone that you can rig separately from the cranium that you can use to make him speak.

So the lesson today, is start a little bit easier if you are attacking the entire picture, until you get a better idea of what you are doing.

www.digitalplanetdesign.com