Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-11-2005 , 09:39 AM

Not Responding after 100 times changing view

im using MAYA for modelling.

my computer specs are :

AMD athlon (barton) XP 2500+ @ 1,8 Ghz
Gigabyte GA7VA MoBo (via chipset)
256 RAM
Gigabyte 128mb ATi Radeon 9250
on Windows XP sp2
(poor isnt it?)

i have problem after install that ATi Radeon, after for a while im using MAYA(all version of), my MAYA got stuck.

it happen after i press "SPACE" key for change view.
i try it(pressing SPACE key for several times, 100+ i guess) with just poligon cube or no model in view, and its still stuck (its look like timed bomb).

on task manager it says not responding.
its make me %*$&^@ if my model got more perfect but i dont save it yet.

i never got this problem when i use my late GeForce MX400.

is there any help for my problem?
btw, is there any auto save feature on MAYA?
how turn/set it on?

i got message (after i install ATi Radeon),
on output windows it says "Shadow mapping extensions insufficient to support hardware rendering."
what its mean?

on windows send error report, the error signature is
szAppName : maya.exe szAppVer : 2005.1.14.8 szModName : hungapp
szModVer : 0.0.0.0 offset : 00000000

the following files will be incl in this error report :
C:\DOCUME~1\Andri\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe438.dir00\maya .exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Andri\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERe438.dir00\appc ompat.txt

after that error, i see something strange on my desktop

any helps??

thanks.

sorry 4 my bad english.

# 2 19-11-2005 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber
You only have 256 mb of ram?! You have to buy more, mate!! 1 gb of ram is the minimum for work with CGI.
Did you tried to use a nVidia card with that same machine? If you did, did you were able to render the scene and change the views via spacebar?
I don't understand all that technical stuff you writen but i guess that you are having a driver problem with your ATI card.

# 3 20-11-2005 , 02:53 PM
Yep its the ATI card. I am running off of a 256 ATI Raedon Xtacy card and it sometimes freezes and has to do a VPU recover. Maya seems to not really like ATI cards, except for the fireGL kinds.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 03-12-2005 , 08:19 PM
definately need to pop in a good 512 mb extra ram module.
That error your getting shouldnt effect changing viewports at all...i used to get it all the time before i got my latest video card....it just means you'll most likely not be able to do any hardware rendering...I just stuck to software for the longest time. Also after adding more RAM....get the latest driver for your ati card on their site. My old drivers on my ati card had issues with hardware accelleration...after updating....no problems.

Last edited by varley; 03-12-2005 at 08:44 PM.
# 5 03-12-2005 , 08:24 PM
for the meantime...another thing you can try doing is increasing the virtual memory on you computer...right click on my computer > properties > advanced tab > click on the performance button > go to the advanced tab here > try doubling your virtual memory here (at bottom) ... also set processor scheduling and memory usage to "programs" .

Windows will by default make the virtual memory 1.5 times you physical memory...since you only have 256 physical...the virtual might still not be enough.

Hope this helps