Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-06-2007 , 10:32 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

linkin softwares

hi guys im relatively new to maya(been using it for 6months)now the problem is this after modelling i have noticed that everybody uses photoshop for textures and painting. i know how to use zbrush so do i still have to learn photoshop

# 2 19-06-2007 , 10:40 AM
Not realy, but it's a definate advantage, on thing is that if you export from Zbrush to maya you have to flip the texture (as Z has a different coordiante system (think that the y axis is down rarther than up if I remember rightly) You can do it in maya if you needet too.

Also think of if you texture something in Z brush and when its in maya it dosent really look how you want, using PS you can just simply alter the colour balance etc to suit.

Also Photoshops a lot easier when texturing ciritan object.

all in all I would learn is as it's got lots of fundamental things that you will probably need.

On a side note you dont have to use Photoshop, any other image manipulating tool will do the job, I would reccommend GIMP, its free and does all the same things that Photoshop does, and possibly more.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 19-06-2007 , 10:46 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
thanks for the quick reply could you give me a link where i can download this and its tutorials

# 4 19-06-2007 , 10:50 AM

# 5 19-06-2007 , 10:57 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
cool frm the way you answer questions you seem like a master at this so how long does it usually take you to texture lets say a human model?

# 6 19-06-2007 , 12:16 PM
haha, I wish!

To texture a model, depends really on how realisitc I want, i'm not great at texturing, especially organic's I mainly rely on photo ref and use Z brush's projection master to texture using hi res photo's. which all in all would take a while to do (well) cant really put a time on it to be honest.

I'm currently doing the challence on this site (in the challenge fourm, dive in and have a look, shameless plug there!) Where I'll be texturing that model when I get onto it, which will probably take a while as i'll be painting all the textures in Zbrush with maybe a bit of photoshop.

# 7 20-06-2007 , 04:29 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
tried downloading its not working i think the link is dead any other sites?