Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 17-09-2008 , 04:39 PM

Liscence not working?

Hey guys, I recently moved into my dorm at college and I'm trying to get maya to work. I have uninstalled it and everything but I get this popup that says that there isnt an appropriate liscence installed. I have the liscence and the activation code. I've entered them in as shown in the first picture, but then it just goes back to the menu of options as shown in the second picture. Does anyone know what to do? and yes this is a LEGAL copy of it and I have tried all of the other methods. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-09-2008 , 02:24 AM
Subscriber
Are you trying to install it on a new computer?

If so, it's not going to work as, unless you have a floating license, Maya will only work on the machine you originally installed it on because the IP address is part of the license.

You can get in touch with Autoddesk and they'll send you over a new license without any bother. I've had to do this twice after upgrading my computer.

I have to say that the customer service was better through Alias than it was through Autodesk, I had to wait a week for my new license throuh them where as Alias was a couple of hours...... in their defense, it was some time ago (just after the take over) so they may have sorted things out since then.

anyway.......I hope this is of some help,

Mat user added image

# 3 18-09-2008 , 02:57 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yeah Autodesk are pretty bang on now with licenses, but its always an advantage to actually buy a dongle in the first place then you can move from machine to machine with the aggro. Its like 100quid for a dongle here in the UK.

All you have to do is move the Flexlm folder. the dongle does the rest! Its saved my bacon a couple of times

Jay

# 4 18-09-2008 , 06:50 AM
Alas, I waited for 3 weeks to get a motionbuilder licence. But after complaining they have got pretty much bang on!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 18-09-2008 , 04:38 PM
No this is the same computer, but I guess with a new IP since im on a new server. Yea I guess I'll try the Autodesk maya website.

# 6 19-09-2008 , 05:24 AM
I don't think Maya uses your IP address, it uses your network card's MAC (not related to Apple) address, or at least Maya 6.5 does.

Did you change your network hardware and did you change your MAC address?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 7 19-09-2008 , 06:21 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Yes the license is worked out from your ethernet card.

Jay

# 8 19-09-2008 , 10:38 AM
Umm, I dont know if I did, I'm on a completely different network now though cause I'm connected through my school. I tried the "Show OPA Hardware Identifiers on this computer" and it does find one, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

# 9 19-09-2008 , 12:09 PM
Subscriber
yeah, sorry, I got confused it is your mac address but to find it you type in ipconfig....... my bad for confusing you.

Mat :$

# 10 20-09-2008 , 05:22 AM
To get your MAC address I thought you need to type in:

ipconfig -all

or something... (I'm on my Linux box atm - I can get my network config (most of it) from a GUI)

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 11 20-09-2008 , 05:33 AM
ipconfig /all is the one, and its under the physical address for the network controller.

You can also get it if you go to Autodesk in the programm menu then common utilities flex LM licence utilities in the system setting tab under Ethernet address

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle