Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 01-05-2010 , 04:29 PM

Nvidia Comp Accelerate "Illegal Racer"

Hy all.

I decided to challenge myself to this nvidia competition too.
But I started modelling in Max, and since I don`t have permission to post in Simple Max site, so I will start posting here.
Either way, I probably will be switching between Max(at my work) and Maya (at home).

hope you guys enjoy this thread.

Concept:
My concept is to make a future "street racer".
By 2200, with the discovery of non-gravitational conductors, the gas engine and wheel has being replaced by "flying vehicle" a couple of years ago.
The traffic has being set in the air between high buidings as air traffic lines.
Drivers can complitly take his hands off when in the vehicle, since those traffics are automaticly controlled. With also avoid traffic jams.
But as usual always have people not too happy with those changes, such as "Race Lovers".
So to go around, Illegal Racers (how they are called), made a vehicle that has normal Gas Engine (with supposable are not permited), attached to non-gravitational conductor in order to give full control of the vehicle, and torque power.

Ps: I will keep explaining more about that crazy world as I progress in the vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 02-05-2010 , 07:57 PM
Subscriber
Can you send me a link to the nvida competition?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 3 02-05-2010 , 09:39 PM
# 4 03-05-2010 , 04:41 PM
As ClodWave point it out, the competition is mostly told in the CG Channel, but Nvidia is organizing.

It is pretty big competition.
With some really good talented artist.
Let see until where I can get.
"I`m not even sure if I can finish on time!"user added image

But here it goes:
Little more update.

Smooth version and wire frame, low version.
No texture at the moment.

I added some "junction" to the pipes and radiator "strips", without it wouldn`t be a engine.
The retro stuff is finished, from now I will start working on the NG (non gravitational) conductor, and the support to link it all.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Stormgetto; 03-05-2010 at 04:43 PM.
# 5 03-05-2010 , 05:48 PM
The thin red line
Hi Stormgetto
Nice modelling hope you get it finished.............dave

# 6 03-05-2010 , 11:18 PM
Lifetime Member
Stormgetto,

great looking engine man!!!! looks good and genuine! how much more time do you have??? I would be getting a wriggle on with the body as soon as?

Does this include the pilot as per your ref?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 05-05-2010 , 03:17 AM
Subscriber
i like where this is heading... got any more sketches or just that one? haha i love how you added the turbo and AFM's user added image

# 8 05-05-2010 , 04:19 PM
Not too big progress, but just to keep moving this thread, with give me alot of motivation.(I was searching about gear box, but I gave up)

Bullet1968: The competition I believe goes until the end of next month. But since I`m in crunch time at my job, and I don`t know until when this crunch will go, I will not have too much time to work on that. Either way I`m apt to see until where I can get. And my concept will include pilot, since the image I have in my mind, is sort of racer running away from a police. kind of lookind back to see the police chasing him...

Marlonjohn: Here is where I am at the moment, I have many sketches, but nothing that will make sense at the moment, since time is against me, I`m drawing on paper in my free time, like in the subway, and getting straight on 3D model. So probably I will be mostly updating only 3D images.

Still in the middle of modelling and defining the look, but basically will work as in the image, engine connected to a conductor, making the "gears" (rings) in the conductor to spin, with also spin the Fluid to generate the magnetic fild, with gives a force to move the vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 05-05-2010 , 10:42 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good mate. Gee not much time especially with work as well!!!! good luck with it, its coming along nicely. I like the idea of the pilot/racer being chased bahahaha sounds cool.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 06-05-2010 , 04:51 PM
Little more update.
"Sacrifying little my sleeping time"...:zzz:

Working on the conductor.
This part I based on the jet engine, with "flexible board".
from inside I was thinking in do something with looks like "coil", the wired tube that generate electricity.

Hopefully in the weekend I would be able to finish this mechanical part, and UV, so I can present in CGtalk some WIP as well. "I`m saying this, just to push myself, so if I don`t do it, you guys can start blaming me for not doing it.":bandit:

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 06-05-2010 , 10:06 PM
Lifetime Member
mate, Im impressed, it does look really genuine. Good piece of work so far, get some sleep MAN!!!!!!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 12 08-05-2010 , 07:24 PM
Looks like a really good, planned start to the model!

Looking forward to the rest of it!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 09-05-2010 , 10:49 AM
Subscriber
i'm with bullet on his last comment
it looks great!

i dont know how you know where to stick your pipes and other bits and pieces.. if i model a mechanical thing i'd end up just having a smooth shell and any wires or pipes or anything would just be for show and wouldn't really look functional at all

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 14 10-05-2010 , 05:10 PM
Here is latest update:

I built the stabilizer for the booster, since the magnetic booster cannot control the radius os gravitational force generated around it, need those stabilizer attached on tip of the mechanic arm.
Those arms are articulate so can "squeezing" down the magnetic field pointing the force to desired direction and applifying it.

The base ring with arms are attached are consisted with outer ring with can move the arms around it, and inner ring with give electricity for the stabilizer, so does not need "cable" connected direct to stabilizer. (I took that idea from the train rail, that gives eletricity to the train "every morning I need to take a train, so was something that bright me up when I was waiting for")

Last edited by Stormgetto; 10-05-2010 at 05:20 PM.
# 15 10-05-2010 , 05:37 PM
Chirone: I always take many reference based on what I want to do, so I did some vast search on engine structure.
And there I found some essential parts, like turbo, exhaust pipe, muffler, intercooler "that cool down the turbo", airflow "to inject clean air to turbo", etc...
And for NG Conductor, I took some idea from many scientistic fictional books, that say "moving the super fluid in 60 thousand revolution for a minute, can be generated a gravitational force, and with that same theory can generate any force field...." (My brain melt a couple of pages later, so I just took the theory part).

So all is based on some people theory or study. (thanks to internet)
I just changed the place things are attached, like engine has 3 exhaust in each side, with mean have 6 piston inside the engine box.
I came up with idea that ordinally engine will rotate the coils inside the Super Conductor (The Booster behind the engine), with will generate the force field.

And since the main idea is to make something with is inside the "Syd Mead" looking design, I thought that those conductors that has mercury looks like fluids that GROW in reaction, would be best fit to make something that will bright it up in sort of black light or neon color kind of.
Plus I wanted to add the engine heating color, with will come up from exhaust pipes.
I saw a video that someone is testing the engine and in high accelaration the exhaust pipe bright it in up in red color, was just beutifull, so I decide to put that also.

That why I`m builting all that. The vehicle design will come later, when I get all the inner part with restrict the design alot (that why I`m builting from inside out)

Attached Thumbnails