Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 20-02-2003 , 06:32 AM

My Roundhouse Project + Problem with the Roof

Hey guys, i was just having some problems acheiving a realisitc bump map/effect with this certain texture i am making. All i did so far was grayscale the texture and use that as a bumpmap, but it gives it more of a concrete or stone type bump effect rather than that that thatch would create. any ideas on how i could acheive a much better effect?

Thanks,
Imp

# 2 21-02-2003 , 02:11 PM
Maya Fur, if you have it. Otherwise. Try to find an original texture for the thatch roof and do some photoshop editing to make a tilable image....then derive your bump from that texture. Also, don't be afraid to adjust you bump depth. It looks like yours may be too high.

PaintFX would also work.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 21-02-2003 at 02:15 PM.
# 3 21-02-2003 , 06:33 PM
Thanks Nitro for the advice, i decided that i didnt want to add too much render time to my scene so ive been playing around with a new texture file and its looking much more promising user added image. If you like give your comments, i always want to improve my texturing skills user added image so if anything needs a tweak give me a nudge.

Thanks,
Imp

# 4 23-02-2003 , 10:27 PM
Subscriber
still doesnt looking like a straw roof user added image, in my opinion try it with fur!! I know that the render time will increase but i think that the final effect it compensates!!

jesus loves you!