Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 02-01-2004 , 03:15 PM

the matrix bullet ripple shader ragecgi created

user added image I think that the shader is some how wrong! It has reflects! In the Matrix, the bullet ripples has no reflections, they don't reflect the environment... They modulate it like when you look trough an oval glas. I tried to make that effect but i don't know how to make transparent objects to moudulate the backround when you look trough it. do you understant what I mean? Can you help me?

maby I used the shader wrong... I am not sure... Help?

# 2 02-01-2004 , 10:41 PM
When I made that shader, years ago, the client wanted reflections. and not much "refraction".

So feel free to turn off reflectivity if you wantuser added image

However, to get the background to "distort" depends on a lot of things to get the look you are after.

In Maya, and to a more complicated sense in real life, this is called REFRACTION.

In a shader, this is controlled in the "Raytrace Options" attribute list.

The number/attribute that you'll want to mess with to get different results, is the "refractive index".

Refractive Index determines how much a ray of light will bend when it passes through an object.

This attribute only works if:

-your object is "ripply, or curved, so as to reflect & refract the environ.
-your material is partially or completely transparent (see the Transparency attribute)
-refractions are turned on (see the Refractions attribute)
-and you are rendering using Ray Tracing. (See Render Globals)

If the Refractive Index is set to 1.0, then light does not bend when it passes through the object.

FYI: Here are some other useful REAL-WORLD values for Refractive Index:

Air: 1.0
Water: 1.33
Gasoline: 1.45
Crystal: 2.00
Glass: 1.5
Ice: 1.309
Quartz: 1.6
Ruby: 1.77
Sapphire: 1.77
Salt: 1.54
Alcohol: 1.329
Emerald: 1.57
Polystyrene: 1.55

Note:If you make an object transparent, objects that are seen through it will be refracted only if their Visible In Refractions attribute is turned on.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 03-01-2004 , 12:39 AM

hi

Thank you man, you are a real maya frienduser added image

# 4 03-01-2004 , 03:54 AM

bullet Ripples

Hi again! I tried with the new style and it works very good, but how do I make the black circals in the ripples disapeare? I think they are shadows, because If I render the bullet from behind, against the light the black circals disapears. help?

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 03-01-2004 , 04:18 AM
Well, keep in mind that the shapes are reflecting the environment, AS WELL AS each other too.

Looks like there is a LOT of black in your scene.

So, one way would be to fake it! user added image

Instead of rendering it using raytracing, refractions, etc, make a small 6-12 frame animation in Photoshop, or After Effects, etc, of a SIMILAR environment.
It doesn't have to be anything great, BUT it helps to use the "ripple" filter as it can help to fake the refractivity a bit.

Then, pump that into your reflective color channel as a fake animated environment reflection.

Gimme a few hours, and I'll show you what I meanuser added image

In the meantime, how is your shader set up?

By that I mean, are you raytracing refractions, do you have any reflectivity going on? etc...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 03-01-2004 , 05:35 AM
Ok, it is VERY fast, cuse I messed up the framerate, but the theory worksuser added image

Just create a ripple animation and plop it into the COLOR channel of a phongE shader with some slight transparancy, and you can just instance that disc geometry to your particles, and it worked for meuser added image

Movie is in Cinepak format AVI:

Attached Files
File Type: zip test.zip (240.4 KB, 273 views)

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 03-01-2004 , 02:22 PM

no reflections

the ripple shader contains no reflections only refactions there is a lot of black in my scen thats true, so I made al the textures wite but it' still the same. when I render it from the opposit side (bihind) against the light, the black circals disapears. so I think that the "black" is shadows from each ripple, how do I make the shadow disapear?:bgreen:

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 03-01-2004 , 04:32 PM

refractions

hi! it seams like it's the same from bihind to, so it can't be shadows. I think it has something to do with the "refraction limit" because when I change it to a lower valu ex. "2" the blacknes increases. I tried to increas it to a much higher valu then 6, but nothing happend=( Help?

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 03-01-2004 , 04:38 PM

blacknes

the blacknes apears when a count of ripples overlap each other. Can't I change some shader/render settings to make this uglu blacknes disapear?

# 10 03-01-2004 , 06:02 PM

ha ha

I got it!
I increased the "refraction limit" in render globals and in the shader attributes and now it finally gott it right=)

Now I need some help whit the "muzzle flash" how do i create it whit particles?

By the way how do I import and render avi files in maya?

see ya

# 11 03-01-2004 , 06:05 PM

Notice

do you have a nice explotion toturial ragecgi?

by the way I sent you a mail for some day now have you read it?

# 12 03-01-2004 , 07:45 PM
Ok:

I increased the "refraction limit" in render globals and in the shader attributes and now it finally gott it right=)

Cool!

Now I need some help whit the "muzzle flash" how do i create it whit particles?

Well, I would actually reccomend you do that in post, but if you MUST do it in Maya, there are a number of ways:
-You could parent a point light with a small amount of OptiFX that flares for a moment each time you need it to.
-You could parent a directional emitter to the muzzle, and emit a short burst of white/yellow particle HWstreaks with a bit of spread for effect.

By the way how do I import and render avi files in maya?

Depending on the codec used to make it, you could import it onto a plane using a frame extension, and/or the movie texture node.

do you have a nice explotion toturial ragecgi?

Yes! I have a couple of them, and they can be found in the VIP section here:
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...mhtml?cat_id=5

by the way I sent you a mail for some day now have you read it?

Yes, and I replied, but have you goten my reply yet?

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 13 04-01-2004 , 11:15 PM

Mail

no I haven't got any mail from you=(

# 14 05-01-2004 , 02:10 AM
I'm getting new hosting/email (AND a new Maya box yay!) this weekend, so hopefully that will be resolved soonuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com