Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 06-03-2012 , 12:24 PM
I'm beginning to get more detailed now, I'm basically prepping all the panels for thickness.

user added image

Which begs the question. Is there a preferred thickening technique among the seasoned modelers out there in Maya-land? I don't see a tool specifically tagged for that purpose, so I thought I'd hold off and see what others say.

# 32 06-03-2012 , 12:51 PM
Currently just using the extrude tool and typing in a tiny negative value.

# 33 06-03-2012 , 02:23 PM
Just thickened up the front panel and the "Dogleg" panel under the door. Reduced the size of the smaller light holes, slid some edges about to smooth some curves. Feel like I'm making some progress at last.

user added image

Thickening these using extrude, it's okay but I need to go in afterwards and clean stuff up, I also find that the reflective tool setting doesn't always work the way perfectly, but I can deal with it.

# 34 08-03-2012 , 10:28 AM
I've just been having a lot of problems getting comfortable with the layers and outliner groupings, I've been confused and still am to some degree. I think I'm gaining some understanding but it's slowing me down a lot, so this latest update doesn't look like much.

user added image

I've added some new bits, but mostly it's just more point pushing to get neater curves and stuff.

# 35 08-03-2012 , 11:23 AM
Now I altered the flow of the mesh for the big 'V' at the front, smooths better even if it might not look so pretty as a mesh.

user added image

I'm sure I could riddle out a better solution, perhaps later.

# 36 08-03-2012 , 12:04 PM
Acid44
Looks good man, front looks better this way for a high poly model, IMO

Only crits I have are that the side and top are WAY too dense for what you need, and you should try to match up the poly flow between parts, as it will help you keep uniform smoothing all the way through

# 37 08-03-2012 , 12:38 PM
Thanks, I was starting to wonder if anyone cared. It is quite dense, but I think I'm gonna need that later when I'm cutting in more detail. I've swapped to a different version of the Kombi from the original blueprint, it's now this camper model with side windows, it's because that's the version that I found all the pictures of,

user added image

But I kept the other body in case I want to have the window-less model as well.

# 38 08-03-2012 , 01:22 PM
Acid44
Even when it comes to cutting in details, I doubt you'll need that many edge loops, remember; you can always add more later.

Try not to be discouraged by not having many replies in your threads, this place can be pretty dead sometimes, and eventually someone will get around to it. Just keep pushing forward

# 39 08-03-2012 , 01:31 PM
Now that I've decided which version I'm doing I can finally mirror this thing, a lot of this rear has to change now.

user added image

Here's the model I'm doing now.

user added image

Small tail lights, small window, straight up and down door frame.

# 40 08-03-2012 , 01:52 PM
The thin red line
Yes we are looking but it looked like you were doing a good job by your self, I dont normally coment on car models as I have never done one............dave

# 41 10-03-2012 , 01:13 PM
"Remake re-model"

user added image

If people saw my workflow they'd have a laugh.

# 42 10-03-2012 , 09:15 PM
I had to figure out how to do these vents without doing to much damage to the surrounding panel.

user added image

user added image

Unfortunately I have to go in and finesse each one individually, the bottom two are done with seven to go.

# 43 10-03-2012 , 09:51 PM
Acid44
Vents look good man, nice and consistent all the way through.

# 44 11-03-2012 , 05:21 AM
Thanks for saying, actually after I did those bottom two I realized I could do it in a more production line method so I remodeled them back to their original state and followed through on all of them in a quicker and more consistent method. Less divisions to.

user added image
user added image

Those vents were the things I had eyeballed as being difficult, so they're out of the way now. Yay!

# 45 11-03-2012 , 02:03 PM
Last one today, the fuel lid, doors and door handle inlay.

user added image

At some point I'm gonna have to work out how to do some clay type renders, these screen shots are getting a little dull.