Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 11-07-2008 , 03:12 PM

Hair feedback problem

has anyone had a problem with Maya 8.5 hair not updating during a simulation? What I mean is; On frame 1 the hair is standing straight up, as expected but, when I start the simulation, the hair does not move. The curves that control the hair are moving and if I render frames out, the hair renders as if it is moving too but there is no feedback on my screen. I have read through all of my documentation and other books and there is no mention of this kind of a problem. Any ideas?

# 2 11-07-2008 , 03:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, what video card and driver version do you have?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 12-07-2008 , 12:08 AM
I've got the Quadro FX 560. The driver is version 8.4.2.6.

Another clue; sometimes if I switch from shaded to wireframe then back to shaded view, the hair will update itself one time, but never more than onece.

I use to do hair FX on this computer in the past but I think I was running Maya 7.0.... I can't exactly remember the version. The variables that have changes are just a few. I now have a dual monitor setup and I switched to flat panel monitors. Everything else is the same (double dual cores, 4 gig ram, XP pro sp2).

............ I just now updated my video drivers to the latest versions.... No change..

James
www.morphicmotion.com

Last edited by Velusion; 12-07-2008 at 12:33 AM.
# 4 12-07-2008 , 04:22 AM
I'm sorry, but did you mean to type: 5600?

I'm just making sure that your video subsystem has enough Autodesk-qualified power to do what you want for the version of Maya you are currently running.

So sorry to ask again, but to make sure, do you have this one:
Quadro 560:
https://www.nvidia.com/page/qfx_el.html

or this one:

the 5600:
https://store.nvidia.com/servlet/Cont...uctID=67049700

Again, sorry for getting the very basics out of the way first, but I just want to be sure you are first running a card that is qualified by Autodesk, and will not give us strange, undocumented resultsuser added image

Thanks!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 5 12-07-2008 , 06:20 AM
I have the Quadro FX 560.

As I wrote, the hair does seem to render as expected. it's just the on screen feedback that you look at when setting up the hair and animating that is not working. Since hair uses paintFX for feedback,I wonder if that is a place I should start looking for answers. Unfortunately for me, I know less about paintFX than I do about flying an airplane (I don't know how to fly an airplane).