Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 17-02-2004 , 12:09 PM

How do i change pole vector direction

Hi

Im trying to make a skeleton for an animation. This is my first time and im following a tut. But im stuck, I have to change the direction of the pole vector so the leg skeleton can rotate freely.

but i cant see the pole vector, it should be on the top of the IK handle but its not.

Can someone tell me how to do this.

thanx for all the help

greetz.

# 2 17-02-2004 , 01:38 PM
The Maya Mountain
I usually do a pole vector constraint from the IK onto something like a locator for easy manipulation.

# 3 17-02-2004 , 02:15 PM
Thanx mtmckinkley

But this did not solve my problem. I started with a leg, and the problem is the knee is not bending the right way. it has i strange angle when i move de Ik handle. Can someone explain to my how i can make the joints move in fixed positions

thanx.

# 4 18-02-2004 , 12:47 AM
I hope im reading the problem right, if I am all you do is select the ik and hit T then u will see a manipulator on the top of the ik show up and u can rotate the white arrow so it is pointing forward so the knee will bend correctly.

# 5 18-02-2004 , 06:13 PM
Thanx stavs82

i did wat you said, but im not seeing any white arrow. I'm working with V5.0 and i know for sure that i just that white arrow before with V4.0. But when i pres the T Key nothings happens.
The T key is a shortcut to the show manipulator button. if i press this button it says there are no settings defined for this tool

Can someone help me with this?

Thanx.

Edit: something else wat i dont understand, mij joints are way to big for mij model. i did check the option scale compensate in the Joint settings, but this didn't help.

these little problems are starting to get to me user added image

Last edited by AngelEyes; 18-02-2004 at 06:47 PM.
# 6 18-02-2004 , 08:22 PM
easy fix, create a locator, snap it to the knee joint, and move is straight out about 10 units to see
then parent the locator with whatever node control you are using to move your reverse foot, and then select the locator, shift select the ik handle, go to contrains, and choose pole vector. This way when the ik rotates, the locator rotates, which is connected to the knee joint user added image

Lungs not guns....
# 7 19-02-2004 , 04:02 PM
to fix the join size problem you can go to Display---> Joint size

or Window---> Settings/Pref----> Pref then click the Kinimatic category on the left and use the slider to control joint size.