Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 06-12-2005 , 12:19 PM

realistic movement from my model

Hello all,

Just have a quick question about animation. I want to get realistic movement from my model. How do I do about doing this? And are their any tutorials on this. user added image

# 2 06-12-2005 , 03:21 PM
To get realistic movement you really need to study what the object is and how it moves in real life and then apply this to your model, styart off with basic animation of what you want ti to do and then just refine the animation using the animation graphs, dope sheet etc to get it right.

Bit hard to tell you where to go for a tutorial as you've not said what your model is.

# 3 06-12-2005 , 03:42 PM
Thanks.

The model human's and animals. When I animate the model it bends strange, it deforms the model.

# 4 06-12-2005 , 04:42 PM
Thats to do with the way the model is binded to the skeleton.

I'm not good at charicter animation at all but theres loads of tutorials on skinning etc, have a look on the tutorial section here, mtmikinly's got a walk cycle tutorial

# 5 06-12-2005 , 05:19 PM
Thanks. Ill look into it.

# 6 06-12-2005 , 08:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
smooth movement is a combination of the quality of the rig, and the amount of detail built into the mesh that allows for movement.

# 7 09-12-2005 , 02:29 PM
Thanks that helped.

One more thing I would love to know how to use Maya live, but I really don't know where to begin. Would you know where I can find tutorials on this?
The ones I searched on were dead links.

# 8 09-12-2005 , 09:08 PM
the principles of animation:

1. Squash and stretch

2. Anticipation

3. Staging

4. Straight Ahead Action and Pose to Pose

5. Follow Through and Overlapping Action

6. Slow In and Slow Out

7. Arcs

8. Secondary Action

9. Timing

10. Exaggeration

11. Solid Drawing

12. Appeal

explained:
-a ball will squash as it hits the floor and stretch slightly as it comes back up from the ground.

-before you jump you duck and tuck your arms in.

-staging
the angle you see somthing makes a huge difference to the emotion of that character or that scene.

-straight ahead vs pose to pose
animation is animating frame by frame or in cg terms setting keys as you go rather than setting poses at each stage of the scene
pose to pose is working litterally from key pose to key pose rather than running straight through your scene. Here often flat tangents are used in the graph editor.

-slow in and slow out
a character will not move evenly, if somone is kicking somthing their foot will slow in and out of the kick.

-arcs
nothing except machines move in straight lines, add arcs to the motion of every object in your scene, be it a hand or a ball.

-secondary action
when someone is talking their lips dont just move they may signal somthing else with their eyes or hands, this is essential for belivable character acting.

-timing
duh, the time that somthing happens plays a huge influence on the drame of the scene, if a character picks somthing up too quickly it can look like a grab rather than simply picking somthing up.

Exhaggeration
-real life movements are far too subtle and detailed to capture realistically, especially when talking about facial motions or subtle jestures, to make a point more obvious you exhadurate motions.

-solid drawing doesnt really apply, but if somthing is too weak in line quality or has a messy mesh etc the aimation is not clear, as mckinley said rig quality and mesh detail is the equivilant to this.

-appeal -a good pose is allways readable as a sillhouette you an see, hello alpha channel user added image