Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 06-08-2008 , 06:53 PM

Mirror Geometry issue

Okay I'm having two issues with Mirror Geometry. I did a search, but not really solving my problems.

One object, object A, is on top of another. Kind of like a bulged out design on object B.
When I do a group Mirror, it mirrors itself, so Object A is being mirrored inside Object B. Why can't the entire thing be mirrored so it's exactly the same. I'm making a train, and making side panels.

Two - I need the group of objects to be separate objects...instead if I select one of the objects, it's considered as one object.

I don't want to use the duplicate (rotating 180), because it just rotates on the object's' axis, not as a group.

# 2 06-08-2008 , 07:04 PM
user added image
user added image

# 3 06-08-2008 , 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
You probably need to to a poly combine, do the mirror operation then separate them.

- Genny
# 4 06-08-2008 , 07:07 PM

Originally posted by GecT
You probably need to to a poly combine, do the mirror operation then separate them.

That doesn't work

EDIT - Oh now I see what you mean...Works now!!

Thanks a bunch

# 5 06-08-2008 , 07:10 PM
to me, seems a bit of work.

Select group
Combine
mirror
separate

Is there any script that I can do to make it easier? I have to do this a lot on the train that I'm working on.

Plus - it makes the first 3 objects into the group of object that I just mirrored...that just seems a bit of pain in the ass to change it, and change the names to what I had in the first place.

Or should I just rename the objects after the mirroring?

Last edited by LadySekhmet; 06-08-2008 at 07:14 PM.
# 6 06-08-2008 , 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Copy the info for the combine,mirror and separate operations from the script editor and turn it into a custom one.

- Genny
# 7 06-08-2008 , 11:13 PM
Subscriber
What I would do, is take all the geometry you want to mirror, and group it (Temporarily). Move the pivot of this group to the point at which you'd like your objects mirrored, and duplicate the group. Scale it to -1 on the axis you are mirroring, and then un-group as necessary. This should avoid having to combine geometry and all that fun stuff.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 8 07-08-2008 , 07:00 AM
Subscriber
or just use duplicate special...
more efficient than deplicate esp if you gotta do the same scaling/translation/rotation over and over. very useful that duplicate special

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 9 07-08-2008 , 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
or just use duplicate special...
more efficient than deplicate esp if you gotta do the same scaling/translation/rotation over and over. very useful that duplicate special

Can't use duplicate special because it doesn't mirror everything.

Chirone - I've tried that way, and was able to move the pivot point no problem just like you said, but it only mirrors ONE of the objects, not as a group in whole. I still have to use the separate feature so the new mirror object is not stuck together with the mirrored group.

The way GecT told me - Works perfectly because I can mirror a group of objects, and it will be separated from the object being mirrored. just what I needed. I do need to change some of the workflow, which means I have to NOT group it at first, and NOT rename the objects until I'm done, otherwise, i end up with another group with no objects. It's just weird that way. However, I have to read up how to do scripts, then that way I don't have to keep doing this. :-)