Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 12-06-2003 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber

)v('s miscellaneous models

Hey, this message has totally changed so some of the below messages wont make any sence. Anyways, I was going to do a 365 day marathon with 1 model a day.. but i sware, do not attempt that unless your dedicated! I just couldnt find time to do it every day. So i got to day 1 and that was that user added image. Anyways, instead I may be able to get 1 or 2 models a week pumped out.. and that is what is going to go in here. Just my small side projects.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 29-06-2003 at 10:23 PM.
# 2 12-06-2003 , 01:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
looking forward to it

# 3 12-06-2003 , 05:25 AM
Subscriber
me too great idea, i love speedmodeling for some reason....

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 4 12-06-2003 , 09:15 PM
One piece of advice. Think of this as fun. Not as an obligation. Even if you don't finish the model, just go on to the next.

Have some fun with this!

# 5 13-06-2003 , 03:00 AM
wow everyday !!!!!!! eaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..

# 6 21-06-2003 , 02:32 PM
I have a suggestion for you )V(.

If you have a strength in either using polys, sub-d, or NURBS, I recommend that you use whatever your weakest method is.

It sounds like you want to try new things to help you learn the program.

So maybe using a method your not very comfortable with will help you get better.

Or maybe you could even try to include particle effects
- or use a lot of mel scripting
- or use a lot of paint effects
(Just pick something you don't know how to use and try to learn.)

Then you can see how you progress through the days.

Just a thought. Can't wait to see your progress.

Good Luck. user added image

- Matt
# 7 22-06-2003 , 10:52 PM
Subscriber

Model #1 - Varuna

Alright, one thing i just figured out about when i model. If i want to keep this exciting.. i gotta choose elements that i will like! I wont find it cool to model a flashlight! So, i have went to small things, that are cool! My first model that i will have done by today (my time - its only 4 here) is a mag off of Phantasy star online called "varuna". If i can find a place to hook up my scanner (I bought one, but forgot about desk space) then maybe i will be able to start drawing refrences. Anyways, for now.. no drawn refrences. Below are the details:

Model #1 - Varuna
Modelling type - Polygons or Sub-d's
Texturing - Yes.

Time for me to get to work! Heres an image of Varuna.

Attached Images

# 8 23-06-2003 , 03:14 AM
Subscriber
Alright, after around half a hour of work. i have this. I chose polys for my first.. and then later on i will maybe do my 3rd or so model in sub-d's as i suck with those. Ok, well heres where i am so far and i should have updates later! user added image.

Attached Images

# 9 23-06-2003 , 04:25 AM
Subscriber
alright, a bit farther now. Its a lot of tweaking from here on in, and then texturing will be a problem. I may not texture it as much as i like.. depends how i like the model. I need to be on the next model as of tommorow user added image.

Attached Thumbnails

# 10 23-06-2003 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber
Alright, this is a few more hours in and I can call this the "final". Heres the Mag "Varuna" off of PSO. It was fully UV unwrapped, and textured through photoshop.

Time: 4 hours
Textured: Yes
Type: Polys

Let me know what you think user added image.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by M; 23-06-2003 at 07:34 AM.
# 11 23-06-2003 , 01:00 PM
Subscriber
what exactly is a varuna? it looks as your reference - if i only could figure out if that is something to wear, to eat, a weapon user added image

keep it up - only 364 days left user added image

# 12 23-06-2003 , 10:57 PM
Subscriber
Lol, user added image.. yea babyduck... 364 days left. Some of the days will be really small. First off... "Varuna" is the name of a "Mag" off of the game "Phantasy Star Online". All he really is, is a accessory in the game, this small guy would evolve into a bigger companion once it gets stronger.. you neeed to feed it items for it to grow. It sounds like pokemon but it really isnt. Anyways, they add stuff like attack power to your guy and accuracy. depending on what lvl its at.. it basically hovers over your shoulder and thats about it user added image.

A question i have for anyone though.. how do you make your shadows go blurry when they hit the ground.. this shadow that was casted was so strong! Also, you cant really see it.. but inside that back part.. its textured as well... kinda like a old metal thing going on. Anyways.. time to start day 2 user added image. I wil have my object of choice in less than half a hour.

# 13 23-06-2003 , 11:44 PM
sweet idea mate! nice model!

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect
# 14 24-06-2003 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by M
Lol, user added image.. yea babyduck... 364 days left. Some of the days will be really small. First off... "Varuna" is the name of a "Mag" off of the game "Phantasy Star Online". All he really is, is a accessory in the game, this small guy would evolve into a bigger companion once it gets stronger.. you neeed to feed it items for it to grow. It sounds like pokemon but it really isnt. Anyways, they add stuff like attack power to your guy and accuracy. depending on what lvl its at.. it basically hovers over your shoulder and thats about it user added image.

A question i have for anyone though.. how do you make your shadows go blurry when they hit the ground.. this shadow that was casted was so strong! Also, you cant really see it.. but inside that back part.. its textured as well... kinda like a old metal thing going on. Anyways.. time to start day 2 user added image. I wil have my object of choice in less than half a hour.

thanks - i guess you need be expert to understand it all - pokemon for me is just funny smileys - cute little round thingys with a face - see how uneducated i am about such stuff?

as for the shadows. it depends if you have raytrace or dmap shadows. raytrace shadows needs more shadow rays and bigger light radius for softer shadows. dmap shadows need a higher (about 3 is starting to be nice soft) filter size. but note that if you have (partly) (half) transparent objects, always go for raytrace shadows. they are the only way if you want the shadows to be softer the further away you are fom the shadow casting object - dmap is everywhere equally soft.

hope that gets you started to experiment with shadows

# 15 24-06-2003 , 02:35 AM
Subscriber
oh and the render looks like that the shadow casting light is the only light in the scene. you could use a simple 3 point lighting (watch mikes tut) - or the quick fix is to have the one shadow casting light and add a ambient light with low intensity.

and that is also a good idea - on day you should spend and take a model (which you done before on another day) and just 3 point light it nice as excercise. if you want it a tough thing - do not use texturing, only a simple lambert and make it look good with 3 lights only ...