Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-03-2012 , 10:31 PM

Geometry Disappeared

I was working on my project...I tried to bridge edges or something, I noticed it created a hole. I tried to undo the action...the hole was still present. I redid and the hole remained. Then I saved and exited Maya, and then reloaded the file. The Geometry in the Display layer is missing but does continue to show in the Outliner as far as I know.

sirpownageorav3nger(at)gmail.com
# 2 01-03-2012 , 10:42 PM
Lifetime Member
not sure if this is your problem or not but I have noticed occasionally when using fill hole or bridge options that your geometry is created it just for one reason or another doesn't assign any materials to the newly created faces. Try going into object mode and then reassigning the geometry with the basic lambert shader.

- Jake
# 3 01-03-2012 , 11:02 PM
Lifetime Member
as joverall said...it happens to me too...just re assign the basic lambert...mine has done this quite a few times now. Just a tip too...I have noticed the the bridge tool can be quite dysfunctional after filling a hole then trying to smooth the geo. I never use it now...as when you smooth you get warped verts. Try it out opn a cube...you will see what I mean...I use the append to poly tool for that now

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 01-03-2012 , 11:17 PM
Lifetime Member
@Bullet Yeah I noticed for a while that the bridge tool was driving me crazy but then I figured out that most of the time the reason the geo got so screwed up was from the normals being reversed from one side to the other. Just reverse one side and viola now I use the bridge tool all the time alot like lofting makes polymodeling go pretty quick.

- Jake
# 5 02-03-2012 , 01:36 AM
Thank you all very much. I will test it and edit the post once I execute your advice. I know I saw something about applying the default material somewhere...but it seems irrational because it does not show in wireframe.

P.S. There needs to be a sticky notice about this bug...it can really deceive you.

Still don't know how to unhide the geometry. I never hid it in the first place...it happened after I reloaded the file as I said earlier.

I don't think this worked...If I open the file...you see nothing. Next, I go to display<show all...the reference image pops up...and I can use the display layers to see the old parts of the model I didn't use. The display layer with all the work....the geometry is gone or something. In the outliner there are a lot of Objects assigned a white equilateral with an red arrow icon. How exactly do you apply textures...I opened the hypershade...pressed select all and then clicked blinn and lambert.

Last edited by av3nger; 02-03-2012 at 01:53 AM.
# 6 02-03-2012 , 05:56 AM
Technical Director
Can you give us a screen shot? Assigned a white equilateral?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 02-03-2012 , 12:56 PM
There's nothing there to screenshot except the display layer...but yeah.

# 8 02-03-2012 , 01:42 PM
The thin red line
Try selecting in outliner then press the f key (frame) it might be of the grid, I dont have any problems with the bridge tool like said its normaly the mesh is wrong..........dave

# 9 02-03-2012 , 03:00 PM
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10208060/may...0-02-07-84.jpg

That is old geometry I am not using. The ship was almost done...with the display layer used for that geometry on or off...it looks exactly like this.

It is not off the grid. There is a polysurface meaning that I combined meshes...but it is invisible...that should be the ship.

For the polysurface5 inputs it says deletecomponent38.

Last edited by av3nger; 02-03-2012 at 03:07 PM.
# 10 02-03-2012 , 03:16 PM
Technical Director
If you send me the file, I'll take a look.

# 11 02-03-2012 , 03:21 PM

# 12 02-03-2012 , 04:28 PM
Lifetime Member
I went through and loaded up sections of your scene by editing the ma file but all I can get is basic cubes spread throughout the scene. Hopefully Next will have some better luck for you.

- Jake
# 13 02-03-2012 , 04:37 PM
Technical Director
I just took a quick look, and it looks like the geometry's gone. I'll have a deeper look later today.

# 14 02-03-2012 , 04:41 PM
Thanks a ton.

# 15 03-03-2012 , 03:42 AM
Technical Director
Hey mate,

Did you strip down this file before sending it? I don't see any image planes in it.

Anyways, I took another look at the file, and I'm sorry to say this, but the geometry's gone. If you take a look in the .ma file, you'll see the following:
Code:
createNode mesh -n "polySurfaceShape5" -p "polySurface5";
	setAttr -k off ".v";
	setAttr -s 4 ".iog[0].og";
	setAttr ".vir" yes;
	setAttr ".vif" yes;
	setAttr ".uvst[0].uvsn" -type "string" "map1";
	setAttr ".cuvs" -type "string" "map1";
	setAttr ".dcc" -type "string" "Ambient+Diffuse";
	setAttr ".covm[0]"  0 1 1;
	setAttr ".cdvm[0]"  0 1 1;
	setAttr ".lev" 1;
A complete mesh would have vertex positions, face definitions, etc. This doesn't have any of them.

Sorry mate. Hopefully you have a backup.

Last edited by NextDesign; 03-03-2012 at 03:47 AM.