Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-05-2006 , 06:28 AM

Maxwell VS mental ray

Guys, Both of it are good, but i choose maxwell over mental ray. What do u say?

Yo mamma!
# 2 06-05-2006 , 10:59 AM
maxwell for animation should be a no no i suppose for stills it could be quite good if you can let it run for hours

# 3 06-05-2006 , 01:11 PM
Might as well draw many more renderers in this battle, but lets add Final Render to it as well.

Now:

Maxwell:

Physically correct renderer. Computes light as it would travel in the real world, and, if you leave it on enough, no noise- no nothing. Never will it have blotches, since those are Photon Mapping caused artifacts. Maxwell runs on edited versions of the Metropolis Light Transport algorithm, called ER (I don't know what it stands for). However- the MLT or ER algorithms are... slow. but they are unbiased. Well, compared to other algorithms they are fast, but the industry leading standard is Photon Mapping, and that is really faaaaaaaast. MLT or ER isn't really faaaaaaaaast. Also- MLT and ER are not so good at caustics- though Maxwell might use photon mapping for caustics.

Mental Ray:

Store brand photon mapper. It is super-efficient, but its artifacts are splotches. It is not unbiased becuase photon mapping is only an approximation of the rendering equation (light situation and radience transport that describes how light goes around in the real world). Mental Ray is efficient, fast, and mostly, an industrial standard (mostly, and I think so, correct me if I'm wrong), since Mental Ray is inset with Maya and 3ds Max.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 06-05-2006 , 02:21 PM
Not forget xsi user added image

But what i heared is that maxwell is really easy to render with.. with mental ray depending on experience i suppose.. (I can't do anything lol ) can take very long to tweak with so many settings

# 5 06-05-2006 , 05:40 PM
that is completely true about tweaking the settings. And with maxwell it's true that you just specify the kinds of lights... etc. and its done!

But then you wait for 10, 20, 25+ hours for a "semi-clean" render.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 6 09-05-2006 , 05:05 AM
maxwell is well programmed for ligh effects

Yo mamma!