Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-06-2006 , 06:54 PM

question on expressions

when i try to write an expression in maya, i keep getting an error

attributes must be of float, integer, or boolean types filmTranslate.

film translate in what im trying to do the expression on.

any ideas or websites i can go for help?
thanks

# 2 21-06-2006 , 07:27 PM
Your question is unclear, what are you trying to do, and could you post the part of the code that is giving you the message . . .

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche
# 3 21-06-2006 , 07:40 PM
im taking a box, and using it to drive the film translate attribute in a camera

zoom_camShape.filmTranslate = pan640x480.translateX;

the box is named pan640x480.

basically, when i move the box, teh film translate attribute will change and my focus on what im looking at will change.
i need to do it to the x and y coordinates.

i'll tell you right now, i have about a week of experience with expressions. the other half of this project i figured out myself. but i don't know much of the language for what i want or can do.

i had an "if" statement earlier but it didn't help, and i got the same error message.

thanks

# 4 21-06-2006 , 08:47 PM
Best I can tell, by looking at the Maya help file, (always useful when you hit a brick wall) :headbang: is that the filmTranslate attribute is looking for TWO numbers . . .

From Help file :

filmTranslate (ct) double2 0.0, 0.0
Post projection translation component. Translate the film back by the given values.
The values are normalized with respect to viewing area.

filmTranslateH (fth) double 0.0
Translate in horizontal direction.

filmTranslateV (ftv) double 0.0
Translate in vertical direction.

So evidently it needs you to either supply it with two numbers,
and I'm not so sure how to do that without a little more research that I am to lazy to do, or break it down to :

zoom_camShape.filmTranslateH = pan640x480.translateX;
zoom_camShape.filmTranslateV = pan640x480.translateY;

"The Sage as an Astronomer: If you still see the stars as something above you, you lack the eye of knowledge." Friedrich Nietzsche