Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 17-10-2006 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber

Can not snap to curve network

Hello
I m having a problem with Maya.
Im trying to model a car and have constructed a 3d curve network to work as reference and guide line whilst modeling.

So I want to be able to curve snap to the curve reference network.
So ive started off by curve snapping a polygon using create polygon tool, that snaps whilst im holding down the C key.
I then use the append to polygon tool and want to be able to hold down the C key and snap to the curve this looks like it is working until i pull away in the persp view port .
Ive tried every thing , reset prefs , imported in to new scene deleted history etc please help as this has been holding me up now for 2 days.

i have included a couple of screen shots and im on msn richwatkins69@hotmail.com.
I have also recorded the problem as a swf file if any one would be kind enough to look that would be cool .
:headbang:
Rich(watkira) Watkins

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-10-2006 , 12:48 PM
unless i'm mistaken, you can't really snap polygons to a nurbs curve... all curves in maya are nurbs based, and aren't really compatible with polygons because they're two separate entities. instead of creating polygons you might want to look at creating a loft (select the the first curve you want, then add the second curve you want to loft along to your selection, then go surfaces--> loft). from there you can convert that geometry to polygons and it should keep relatively the same shape.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 18-10-2006 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
Its ok I have found out why.
I started the Append Polygon tool and hit the options box to bring up the tool options. I noticed that the "Keep New Faces Planar" checkbox is checked by default.

I unchecking that box and tried snapping again.
this worked.

I was snapping to a curve network created using cv curve tool and ep curve tool.
:attn: