Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 15-10-2009 , 09:28 AM

Can't see curve lines....

Hi all, first time post and it's a lame one user added image

I'm following a tutorial on designing a mainly polygonal house and I have used a cv curve to make the outline of the front of the house. I made a basic shape(open square with an open triangle closing this square off if that makes sense). The problem is, when I click cv curve again to add the outlines of windows and doors, the square portion of the object disappears from view and only the roof remains. I snapped to grid with my shape and if I move the object off the gridlines the problem doesn't happen. However, I want it to sit right on the gridlines to help me design the rest of the house. Anyone have any solutions to this?

# 2 15-10-2009 , 09:37 AM
The Nurb Herd
no solution to it, other than turn off the grid... or maybe add the curves to a layer and make the layer colour pink or something.

# 3 15-10-2009 , 06:41 PM
....ok, but what causes it as the tutorial I'm following doesn't have the problem...?

# 4 15-10-2009 , 07:58 PM
What exactly do you mean by "square portion of the object"? I don't fully understand what's happening to you yet (sorry). I assume you are trying to make curves based on a reference image you have in your viewport, correct? And in the view port you can see the outline of the house (the curve you made) until you click on the outline?

Trying to figure out if you have a camera placement issue, or maybe camera far clipping issue. Or even image placement issue. Or like what was already mentioned...the curve color being the same color as the grid.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 15-10-2009 , 08:06 PM
The Nurb Herd
i thought the problem is, that sometimes when you snap a curve to the grid, you cant see the curve if its not selected.

# 6 16-10-2009 , 05:36 AM
okok

Just imagine a square with a triangle on top. That is the shape of the front of my house.

The roof is the only thing I can see against the grid due to it not falling on the gridlines. The curve color is not the same as the gridlines. When I try to add more curves for windows and door etc I only see the roof and can not see the rest of the shape....

Hope that makes sense....I'm sure it's something simple, but it's annoying nonetheless.

# 7 16-10-2009 , 07:25 AM
wait, I worked it out.

When I am in front view and I have my shape in front of me...if I hit 5 to shade the object, I lose seeing the sides and bottom of the house...only the roof is visible....so I left it in wireframe mode and I can see all sides...

..still don't know why it does that...

user added image

Last edited by MisterE; 16-10-2009 at 07:31 AM.