Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-12-2009 , 03:59 AM

breath in cold air

hi, I have a project for class involving cold weather, and i wanted my character to have his breath showing for the close up scene. the rest would be moving too fast to see it so it can be a cheap quick effect. i am trying to do this with a 2d fluid and have it set up to look the way i want it, except i don't know how to make it pause for his breathing. currently its always emitting and i need it to pause for a moment. how would i go about doing this? is there a emitter speed attribute? i couldn't find one, though i may be blind. thanks for help in advanced.

# 2 11-12-2009 , 04:35 AM
There used to be a tutorial on this exact effect by a guy who had a site called "painfulurination.com".

Back in April of last year his site went down, HOWEVER I found it on the wayback machine for you.

Give it time to loaduser added image

LINK TO ARCHIVED BREATH VAPOR TUTORIAL

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 11-12-2009 , 04:55 AM
I just found the slider i need. but thanks for the tutorial. i will look through it and see if there is anything i can do better.

# 4 11-12-2009 , 05:54 PM
EduSciVis-er
There is a speed attribute (is that the one you found?) but it might make more sense to key the particles/sec emission rate, otherwise you'll have a bunch of particles building up right at the emitter while it's "off". Does that make any sense?