Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-12-2010 , 11:37 PM

Kitchen

I'm going to try and texture one of my past projects so I've decided to go with a kitchen. It just looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to texture. I was going to learn texturing a while back but got sidetracked with other stuff. Hopefully I'll stick to it this time. I know some basics so hopefully it will be enough but any and all help is appreciated. Here's the kitchen I'm going to texture.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 20-12-2010 , 11:40 PM
I didn't see the image so trying to post image again.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 21-12-2010 , 12:28 AM
Floor, Walls, Rug, Carpet, & Baseboards

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 4 21-12-2010 , 12:52 AM
Subscriber
AWESOME!!! DO IT. You'll be happy you did. I'll help as much as I can if you have any questions about UVs. I don't know a ton but hopefully I can help.

# 5 21-12-2010 , 03:29 PM
Thanks Rhetoric, my first question is on items that need to be smoothed, do I map them before I smooth or after?

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 21-12-2010 , 04:16 PM
Looking forward to this Perfecto, I could be wrong, but I think you need to smooth first, as the texture may come out weird if you map it first, then smooth.
Would be glad to get this verified from someone else as I'm not 100% sure, I just remember trying it the other way once and the texture looked crap when I smoothed it later.
Either way, good luck!

# 7 21-12-2010 , 06:33 PM
I took your advice Dango77 and smoothed first, thx. Here's my table.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 21-12-2010 , 08:01 PM
Subscriber
I'm with Dango on this. If you layout the UV's then smooth it will throw off your UV's.

# 9 21-12-2010 , 09:41 PM
Map BEFORE, then smooth. There are some options when smoothing, like if you want preserve geometry borders, hard edges etc. play with that.

# 10 21-12-2010 , 10:04 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah, turn smooth UVs off in the smooth.

# 11 21-12-2010 , 11:12 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Might be best smoothing during render. Then you can keep your scene nice and light, plus it make it easy to edit and make large changes to the UVs if you notice something later.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 12 22-12-2010 , 12:56 AM
Thank you everyone. I'll remap the table legs. Right now they're mapped after I smoothed but I can go back to the low poly and remap as suggested.

Exceed Expectations!
# 13 22-12-2010 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
Really, smoothing AFTER laying out the UVs? Can anyone explain why? It seems to me that it would alter the UVs you've laid out. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, just curious is all.

Perfecto, sorry I was wrong. Apparently I've been doing it wrong too, although lately I just smooth my objects by hitting 3 on the keyboard.

# 14 22-12-2010 , 07:56 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

It seems to me that it would alter the UVs you've laid out. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong, just curious is all.

preserve geometry border option user added image that should help

# 15 22-12-2010 , 09:46 AM
Cool, sorry for the mis-information Perfecto, but I'm glad to know the right way now, thanks to those that explained!