Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-03-2011 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber

Stylized Cartoon Male - The GI

I just got the maya 2011 program and bought the GI tutorial. At the beginning of the tutorial video, he has set up 2 pictures. One from the side and the other one is a front shot.

Im tryin to wrap my head around and find out how he did that, but I'm havin a hard time.
As you understand from this post im as fresh as one can be on this.

Hope anyone can help me on this.

Cheers and thanks up front user added image

# 2 25-03-2011 , 10:34 PM
Administrator
Hi, my apologies it is a beginner tutorial and should be clear from the start this is the only modeling tutorial on the site in fact that starts with the image planes already set up so typical user added image

However there is a free video on how to set up image planes, it's part 1 which is 7 minutes long and goes through this process so if you watch that and use the GI front and side images instead (these are in the Templates.zip that comes with the GI) it should work just fine.

I hope that will get you started alright, let me know if you run into any trouble and thanks for supporting SimplyMaya,

Nilla

# 3 26-03-2011 , 06:37 AM
Subscriber
Thanks alot for the help. I now got the image planes up. And I've started the modeling.

Thanks again for your response, and I'm quite sure you'll hear from me rather soon user added image

Cheers

# 4 26-03-2011 , 10:23 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ah my apologies too. I had seen it done so many times on other tutes, I figured everyone would have grasped it. A black mark against my name.

As a side note, maya has its own help that would also show you how to do it.

cheers
Jay

# 5 26-03-2011 , 11:49 AM
Subscriber
Well, atleast I'm 1 step further, but now I managed to wrap my self up in another problem.
When I'm forming my head, Im gettin' red lines who goes over to an yellow color. (not sure how to make a screenshot). And mye "head" tears apart when I try to adjust some of the points that are close to the center of the head. Anyone have any idea? Kinda hard to explain.

Cheers user added image

# 6 26-03-2011 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber
No problems at all Jay, so far I like the tutorial alot. Just me with really "noobish" maya skills. user added image But as long as I can post my problems here, I'll make it.

Thanks again for an amazing site. Keep up the good work.

# 7 26-03-2011 , 03:07 PM
Administrator

Ah my apologies too. I had seen it done so many times on other tutes, I figured everyone would have grasped it. A black mark against my name.

It's a great tutorial Jay, I've been thinking exactly the same thing when watching tutorials user added image

SkyMarshall, if it looks like below you've turned on soft selection you can toggle it on/off by hitting the 'b' key. Stwert started an FAQ last week which can be handy to check out for some common problems you might run into when you're new to Maya https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35308

Also as Jay mentioned the Maya Help is very useful to search for specifics when you know what you're looking for, just hit F1 to bring them up (keep in mind they don't really like Chrome so open them in Firefox instead).

Have fun modeling and thanks for the nice feedback,
Nilla

Attached Images
# 8 26-03-2011 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
First of all, I must say I really like this site. And It's a big help for me to ask any question here, and get a quick reply.

When im looking at Jay's tutorial, I noticed that when he has his "front" angle, he manages to adjust the front and the back of the head at the same time. How do you link those dot's like that? Quite easy to mess everything up without.

Cheers.

Ps.
You where spot on Miss Nova. Problem solved user added image

# 9 26-03-2011 , 11:17 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Sky

no disrespect or anything, but I would start with a more basic tutorial, because as of now it looks like you have just started with maya and if you start at a more advanced level you probably get discouraged since there are a lot of techniques and terminologies that you don't understand.

# 10 27-03-2011 , 05:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Sky...not sure what you mean by front and back mate?? for a screen shot (Win XP) just get the position you want in Maya then hit the 'PrtSC' key...then open Paint (default) and paste..the image will come up and you can save as a jpeg somewhere then post on site...any trouble get back to me. If you want PM me and I will help you do the screenshot thing...its not too hard mate

With the Maya help...just a tip...dont scroll through all the bulldust...type in..if you can the search bar...any trouble just post and we will guide you. Im new too but have learned so much from everyone here at SM mate...best site out and the help is always around somewhere...he he he even if we sneak it in at work!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 27-03-2011 , 07:22 AM
Subscriber
I understand what you mean mate. The thought have crossed my mind. BEcause, I'm havin a hard time doin it right user added image I'll see what I can find user added image.

I bought the GI dude, becase it says beginner. So I thought I should start there. Think I have to find something like 3-6 years user added image

Last edited by SkyMarshall; 27-03-2011 at 07:26 AM.
# 12 27-03-2011 , 09:21 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
mmm I wouldnt have said that tute was a beginner level, not on that, perhaps a more intermediate plus for those with an understanding of maya.

Yeah do a screen shot of the problem you have, I can't picture it either and I did the tutorial LOL

cheers
Jay

# 13 27-03-2011 , 04:27 PM
SM Tea Boy

I understand what you mean mate. The thought have crossed my mind. BEcause, I'm havin a hard time doin it right user added image I'll see what I can find user added image.

I bought the GI dude, becase it says beginner. So I thought I should start there. Think I have to find something like 3-6 years user added image

Watch all the free tutorials on the site and check out the free Friday section of the forum.

While the GI might not be aimed at the absolute beginner, if you don't push yourself you'll never get anywhere. If you didn't get stuck every 20 minutes and have to go look things up then honestly you'd have just wasted your money. No point doing something you can just sail through and put no effort in you wont learn f-all that way.

Keep trying, post your questions here and you will get through it. Will be bloody difficult but then if it was not I'd have me old mum doing tutorials user added image

Best of luck
Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 14 27-03-2011 , 04:38 PM
SM Tea Boy
I would also say as this seems to be your first big Maya project try not to get hung up on the small details. If you can get anything that even vaguely resembles the GI you'll be miles ahead of most beginners.

And remember Jay has been using Maya since computers had punch cards user added image so do not get disheartened if you don't end up with an exact replica.

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 15 27-03-2011 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber
Thanks mate, I'll keep that in mind. user added image I'll post the picture when im done, tho it'll take quite some time user added image