Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-10-2003 , 08:23 PM

Grouping Polys, Skeltons, and IK's

I have a crab leg I need to duplicate and rotate a little to make the 6 leggs of a Blue Crab. I have the one leg finished, with it's skeleton, and an IK handle to make the leg bend (I have the skeleton in a Rigid Bind to the polygons.). The only problem I have is that I cannot seem to get everyone to behave when I rotate.

I put all 3 of the pieces (polys, skeleton, and IK) in an empty group, but when I try to rotate the group, the polygon leg rotates like 2X faster than the skeleton and it's IK handle.

Anyone have a remedy for this? I would really like to have my skeleton and such to move with my legs to make animation easy. I can attach screenshots later if needed to clarify my point.

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 2 28-10-2003 , 08:56 PM
Although this is the appropriate forum for this question, please refrain from double-posting topics.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 28-10-2003 , 08:59 PM
Yea, sorry that.

I originally posted in the Maya Chat, but it would not let me delete that one after I posted here, realizing this was the correct place.

What you're getting is called a double transform. You have the poly leg affected by 2 objects: the skeleton and the group. Solution is to ungroup the poly leg from the empty group. You don't need to group the poly leg because it is already controlled by the skeleton.

Works great. Thank you.

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.

Last edited by Exdaix; 28-10-2003 at 09:02 PM.