Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-04-2005 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber

First Model Flying Car

This is the first Model that I have built with Maya. I have been working with the Maya software for about a year now, just learning on my own. So I would like some input on what i have so far. Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: bmp flyingcar2sm.bmp (211.6 KB, 154 views)

CDV
# 2 29-04-2005 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber

Hello

Here is a Jpeg

Attached Images

CDV
# 3 29-04-2005 , 12:48 PM
hi pal!
I´m learning maya too on my own. started in fall 2004. how much time do U spend on the software? and maybe what are you going for? you have a nice model here - is it nurbs?

# 4 30-04-2005 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber

Not Nurbs

No Its not nurbs. It was made using polygn modeling and then converted to subd's. Then I adjusted the subd's to get the shapes just how i wanted them. I don't get a lot of time on the computer. I may get an hour a night if I'm luck and maybe 2 to 4 hours on the weekend. I have a wife and a daughter and they keep me pretty busy. I have several books on Maya and i Read them as much as i can. Also i have some tutorial videos that i watch when i have free time. I'm sure you would agree that the software is pretty complex and its a lot of work to learn. I would like to see anything your working on. I will look to see if you have a thread here. If you don't would you post a picture on this thread if you could. Thanks.

CDV
# 5 30-04-2005 , 05:52 AM
Subscriber

A little more

Here i did a little more work.

Attached Thumbnails

CDV
# 6 30-04-2005 , 08:24 AM
sure, I totally agree with you. - it´s darn complex, and I didn´t come up with more than modeling until now. and about the time - I completely understand what you are talking about. don´t have kids myself but a girl and I have a guilty conscience about working with maya most of my spare time. but I´d realy like to earn money with a regular work using maya sometimes in the future. that´s important to me.

the 2nd version Ilike better. maybe you want to apply some kind of texture and bumpmap. I bet it would look really cool with some maps!

keep it up m8! maybe your kid likes cg sometimes so you both could spend time together user added image PS: you can find some of my work in the wip section here. it´s the humanModeling thread.

# 7 30-04-2005 , 08:26 AM
PPS: we both have the same workflow it seems. I too model in polys - convert to subDs - tweak - convert it back and tweak. isn´t it the most fun like this?

# 8 01-05-2005 , 11:39 PM
Subscriber

Mental Ray Version

This is just a version of the same thing I rendered with mental ray. What a difference that makes!

:: Oversized Image Removed ::

CDV

Last edited by I-Iybrid; 07-05-2005 at 10:54 PM.
# 9 04-05-2005 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber

Sorry for the huge picture

Here is a newer version a bit smaller.

CDV
# 10 04-05-2005 , 01:50 AM
Subscriber

Car

Here it is

:: Oversized Image Removed ::

CDV

Last edited by I-Iybrid; 07-05-2005 at 10:55 PM.
# 11 04-05-2005 , 10:01 AM
I like the reflection on the surface. also the circulator turbine. but I would recomend to try texturing the blue surface. I would look way more realistic with some kind of texture on it. maybe U have Photoshop. should be not to difficult to create a map. keep on working - looks very good to me.