Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 03-06-2005 , 07:57 AM
Just a quick comment: The line above the eyelids isn't there.

# 32 03-06-2005 , 08:35 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

Thanks. Yeah I have to agree with DJ here, you definately need some lids on those eyes. The lips are not right I think firstly the shape, and then also you have too much geometry there too which is why you're getting that 'creasing' effect around it. If you are going to 'go' subd you wont need to use that much geo.

The ears need some attention too. There are what looks like some tris there too. Theres an easier way to do this, if you wanna put it this way. Ears are hard to do and cant be rushed, believe me Im still trying to perfect them myself. The whole model itself is good for a first attempt at a head. It can only get better from here on.

Please see this through until the end. Dont be one of these guys that hasnt the patience and says, "well thats finished" and move on, when you know its not.

Were with you on this (well I am anyway) so...

Jay

# 33 03-06-2005 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber
Well, I'm not shooting for "perfect." More as a learning exercise, but hey, with you guys with me I'll shoot for "better." I had thought to add the eye crease in bump, but I can add loops to define it.

I don't mind the creasing so much on the top of lip. Will definetly look at the corners and bottom lip. While around the bottom lip... I have a largish mole on the right (seen in the partially textured image). Model it or bump it?

Will try to get a few hours in this weekend on it. Thanks for the support and critiques.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 34 05-06-2005 , 07:35 PM
Subscriber
Ok, tweaked some more on the lips and eyelids and just tad on the ears.

Maintaining quads in the ears is a royal pain. so I'm sure there are a few tris hidden in there... still I fairly happy with it, being my first ear.

Attached Thumbnails

# 35 05-06-2005 , 08:15 PM
Hey Michael
Getting there. Yep ears arent easy!!

Talking of a royal pain, Ive eliminated a couple of tri's and cut in some edges.

If you want me to have a look at it in maya and have a 'slice' I dont mind. You can send me the model and you can then see what to look for.

_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 07-06-2005 , 06:58 AM
Subscriber
Some more tweaking around the eyes. crease/upper lid sort of there now. Minor tweaks and the corners of the mouth. Subtle change, fattened the head and neck slightly... to match my density a little better.

Jay tried to match the last ref you did, but adding extra loops for the eye may have thrown me off.

Appreciate the offer on the model, but I think I'll learn more by suffering through this hands on.... of course if you'd like to turn me into an alien character for Outlaws, then that's different story... but anyway, here is my fat head for anyone to play with. The file is at the point of this image:

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mhcannon; 07-06-2005 at 03:37 PM.
# 37 07-06-2005 , 07:17 AM
Hey Michael

If you send me a profile and front view of yourself then I could one of you in the future, you have my email address dont you?

Jay

# 38 07-06-2005 , 10:01 AM
Subscriber
Hey Michael,

Tried to download your head . . . . . . Man that doesn't sound rightuser added image but the link doesn't work.

I'm thinking of trying one myself. I might have a go at doing my 6 year old son.

Is this your first attempt at a head?

# 39 07-06-2005 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
Paul,
Thanks for that... seems I forgot to include the sub_folder in the URL. Link should work now. Since .ma is a text file you should right click and do a save link as... Otherwise it just open in the browser.

First full head, yes. I started on one of the Thing from the Fantastic Four, but haven't gotten around to finishing him. This is my first human head.

I'm pretty good conceptually with Maya's tools, I still need to get application down solid. Even though I may give advice or suggestions, I would never claim to be an expert at Maya.

After I get my head done, I plan to do my two younger kids, then eventually my whole family.

Well good luck downloading my fat head. user added image

Last edited by mhcannon; 13-06-2005 at 05:00 PM.
# 40 07-06-2005 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
Michael,

I assume its a 6.5 file is that correct? I tried opening it but it didn't work, I'm using 6.0.

Cheers
Paul

# 41 07-06-2005 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
Paul,
That's why I save out to .ma vice .mb. Open the file in an ascii text editor such as wordpad, edit line for where it says "requires." Change the required version from 6.5 to 6.0. Then save the file and open in Maya.

# 42 07-06-2005 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Michael that worked. I wonder if I can produce a clean mesh like that. Can't wait to see it textured!

Cheers
Paul

# 43 08-06-2005 , 08:28 AM
Subscriber
Ok, last update for awhile... going out of town til next week. Lot of work on the upper eye lid. Lots of minor tweaks, chasing down verts that made slightly odd bumps or dips. I can definitely see the pros of switching back and forth from subdivs to polys. It's much easier to see the little flaws in subdiv.
user added image

# 44 08-06-2005 , 11:21 AM
It's getting there, mhcannon, starting to look good...

some crits: the ears should be standing out more

# 45 08-06-2005 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
DJ, yeah, still need to tweak them. I think the lower lobe is pretty close. But, I definitely need to "pull" the upper lobe out and away from the skull. Thanks for the critical eye.